Hoping to pick a better man (or womans) brain!

R

Hi all,

I have a wee question I don't seem to be able to answer with some extensive googling so I'm hoping a knowledgeable forum member can help me!
I'd like to find myself a PhD, I have a BSc in genetics, and MSc in medical molecular genetics and Grad cert in biomedical sciences. At the moment I work for the NHS in a cell therapies department - we're building the first UK CTL cell bank for use in cancer patients, under funding from the Wellcome Trust. I've found a research group in Edinburgh who are affiliated with my current employers and whose focus is cellular therapies - I'd like to send an enquiry email putting myself forward as a prospective PhD candidate should they find funding for one but I'm not sure how to word it! Somehow I don't think 'Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase give me a studentship' is quite the way to go!! I actually work with their clinical director, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to approach him asking to move to a job somewhere else - we're incredibly short staffed as it is (God Bless the NHS spending cuts!), my boss'd freak out if he knew I wanted to leave. Is sending prospective emails the done thing? How do I word it - just 'Hi, I know who you are, here's my CV' sort of thing??

Also - how does it work in a PhD if you need maternity leave? Am I entitled to the same protection as I would be in a job? It's not a major issue at the moment, but the other half is worryingly broody and I always feel it's best to be armed with knowledge!

Hope I'm not asking utterly daft questions and that everyone is having a good Monday - just think, one less day until it's the weekend again!

Rhi x

M

Hi there,

Well I don't have a personal experience but I do have a cousin who has gone through the same situation. She was doing the PhD (in Biochemistry) but then had kids (twins) and it completely got her off track. She is now trying to get back on track and hopes to finish up by May next year but she was telling me it has taken her a very long time (as she ended up going for the maximum duration for allowed PhD and then due to the problems, she was allowed an extension). But to be honest, PhD is a personal thing and you need to stay focused the entire (minimum of 3+) years if you want to complete it on time. If you simply lose focus during it and take a long long break even if it is officially allowed (probably), it can tend to get really difficult. *as far as I can see from my cousin's case at the very least*

Good luck in the planning!

Cheers

R

Hi Mak_2011 - ta for the reply! Good on your cousin managing a PhD with twins! I'm sure it does require a lot of commitment - that's why I didn't go into it straight from my undergrad, I think working for a while has added a good few strings to my bow that'd help me through!