How can I find a PhD supervisor?

I

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I would be very grateful if somebody can help me. I would like to apply for PhD position at Medical University of Vienna and I contacted with their Office for PhD students. They said that the first step in PhD application is to find a PhD supervisor by myself. My question is how to write letter to my prospective supervisor? What should the letter contain?
Thank you in advance for your help and time.

M

Assuming you've chosen a supervisor... you should say when and where you graduated from and with what degree(s), what the project would be (or at least the area), and that based on their previous publications, you thought it might be a project they'd be interested in supervising. You should be sending an email though, not sure if you meant to say that. Another option which could be available is to outline a project proposal and ask the relevant departmental secretary to send it to staff, then the ones who are interested in supervising it could contact you.

S

Generally you look at the faculty webpage, see which faculty member's research interests you, then write them an e-mail with your CV attached. Just explain how their research interests you and why you want to join their group as a PhD student.