how did you acknowledge your supervisor

J

it turns out that my acknowledgement is half a page long and i have only one sentence on my supervisor saying - I would like to thank my supervisor for their encouragement and support - which I don't even believe! How did you acknowledge your supervisor's contribution in your thesis or how do you plan to? that might give me an idea of what to say.. maybe saying more will cause them to read it on time and thoroughly.

J.

B

I thanked both of my supervisors in the first sentence of my page full of acknowledgements:

"I would like to thank both of my supervisors Mr Happy and Mr Jelly for their support throughout the many years of a part-time PhD, keeping me going when times were tough, asking insightful questions, and offering invaluable advice."

P

Honestly, I am realising, in my case it will depend on what kind of a day I've just had as far as my interaction with my sup is concerned. Yes, it should be defined by more than that but I increasingly feel that is what it will come down to.

A

I've just realised one sup has told me the wrong way to do something, so I believe I may acknowledge him with a thump to the head...

Failing that, I'll just write something like what Bilbo said

S

I've gone with something like this:

"I would like to thank my supervisor for allowing me the space and freedom I needed to work and for continued support and guidance from day one"

clearly, this is code for:

"he threw me into the deep end, left me to it and was rubbish at helping me"

i think thanking your supervisor is the done thing to do, even if you don't mean it.

T

My acknowledgement to my supervisor said: 'to XXXXX, thank you'. I had major problems with my PhD and my first superisors. The supervisor who picked it all up and supported me to viva knew exactly what I meant by that very simple, but extremely heartfelt, sentence.

J

bilbo - thanks. mine neglected me in tough times and i can't remember being supported. on the few times we had meetings i can say they asked insightful questions, and offered invaluable advice.

J

======= Date Modified 03 Sep 2010 19:22:32 =======
@ TT - i understand. am not acknowledging old supervisors who messed me up. i had to start from scratch!

J

@sim - i like that. i'll blend yours and bilbos.

keep them coming. your comments might just remind me of what my supervisor has actually done for me that i should thank them for.

S

[quote]Quote From jojo:

@sim - i like that. i'll blend yours and bilbos.

i expect full acknowledgement of that ;-)

J

HAHA Sim 8-). Copying from one source is plagiarism; copying from more than one source is research.

J

@sim - TBH... i wish i could. but my supervisor would know I think very little of them! :-(.

S

Quote From jojo:

HAHA Sim 8-). Copying from one source is plagiarism; copying from more than one source is research.

hehe, i like that

S

Quote From jojo:

Haha! That used to be on my sup's office door. :-)