How did you feel when you finished ?

U

After 4 years of intense pressure, it's all over and I have my PhD!

Although I feel overjoyed, my life seems rather empty now.

It would be interesting to hear how others felt after they finished and had to vacate their student desk.

R

Hi UFO,

well done, congratulations!

Do not know how it feels when things have finished, as I am right in the middle of research business. Do get the impression though that it is important to maintain social network (see recent thread regarding this)to avoid problems of isolation after finishing the PhD

J

Well Done on getting your PhD!!!!

V

Congratulations UFO! Well done! It books they say that after finishing you will feel anti-climax and 'posnatal depression', including feelig of life being empty;))

K

Many congratulations - well done!

It's a weird feeling. It actually took about 2 weeks afterwards for it to sink in with me. I hope you celebrate in style!

C

A big congratulations to you. It is not an easy task to see a PhD to completion. No one can imagine all the hard work, frustration and determination that have gone into it. You have achieved something noteworthy, indeed. I too hope to be able to announce this same wonderful news in the near future.

Congratulations!

J

Congratulations!

i try to have a job, holiday or something lined up to avoid those moments of lack of meaning when am done with exams.... or certain goals i set to achieve. avoiding gaps in life helps. i find that friends are busy doing something and so to avoid being the only one doing nothing - i make sure i have something to go to when everyone else is going to theirs.

are you a scientist or in the humanities? you said you took four months and it went well. congratulations!

U

Thanks for all the congratulation messages.

It's beginning to sink in now that I really did do all that work and pass - I'm amazed when I (try to) re-read the thesis!

I will stick around this forum (if welcome) and offer any advice for those still banging their head on the PC screen!

- Good Luck!

R

Hi UFO,

I think it is very useful to have people who actually were successful in the PhD to be part of this forum, so please keep participating. Obviously I cannot speak for the others or for the forum in general but in my opinion you would be very welcome.

Again gratulations regarding your PhD

H

yes please stay, becasue that's why I came on it...I feel very isolated at times, not wanitng to go on and look at this blooming thing so if you tell us strugglers it can be done it feels goooood,