How do i go about writing a letter to a potential supervisor?

V

Hey there,
Im very new to the whole 'applying for a PhD' thing. Have found a guy who is doing research on something im really interested in. Hes in a place which i like, has good funding and has published lots recently. I have been encouraged to email him expressing why im interested in his research and basically asking him if i can work with him on a PhD project...trouble is im not entirely sure how to go about this...

My ideas...
Why im interested in his subject
Relevant work experience i have (as well as expected degree grade etc)
But im not actually sure how to 'word' the question, or express my interest clearly in doing postgrad work with him. If anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks,
Vicky

T

may not be answering your question but the thing is, are you really interested in his research area??? or its just the dosh calling? Ask yourself this before you write to him/her because half way along the way you will be cursing yourself if its a subject you are not passionate about. the other thing is pips usually write PhD proposals, so in your case since you know the stuff he is into, write a proposal related to that. let him know you are open to anything else related to the subject area just in case he is one of those scouting for a student to carry out some pre determined piece of work.hope this helps

V

Yes, i am interested honestly! Hes researching a type of leukaemia which i happened to have about 10 years ago!
Thanks for the advice.

J

I would recommend asking if you can come and meet him, and look at his lab. He will get a far better idea of you, and you of the group, this way. My supervisor is always happy to meet potential students; it's preferable to an interminable email exchange.