How do they take it?

O

How do established researchers react to PhD students critisizing their work (e.g. in a literature review). Are they annoyed and is it foolish to do this or do they welcome justified critique. I need to know, as I was thinking about contacting the leading expert in my field and ask for comments, despite having heaviliy critisized his work. I need advice as I'm very confused!

O

where is Ann?

R

Hi Otto,

I would see myself as a novice in the research world, so maybe not best person to give you advice. My experience in general with professional people is that there is a huge range between some who are open to feedback (not so much criticism) and others who are really finding this very problematic.

I think a crucial point is how the feedback is delivered. There is in medical education the feedback scheme from Pendleton (first ask what the author thinks are the good things, then you say what you saw as good, later ask for what the author thinks him or herself could have been done differently, then your view regarding this)

Maybe this could be a useful approach for you

O

thanks, Rick. Although I have a feeling the individual wont take it very well, I'm now about to take the full risk. After all, Australia is far away from UK and it is unlikely that I will ever meet the person at a conference or work environment.

K

Hi Otto,
I think there's definitely a range of people re. how they will react, and it might depend how defensive the person is. There are a few people who I, if not criticise, then suggest alternatives to their perspectives in my work. I dont aim to outright criticise them and their work. One of these people has taken it all very well and said my work is very interesting, the other went on the major defensive and tore my work apart (mostly with completely wrong and unjustified criticisms). Think the problem with the latter was that my supervisor said I should go and present my work at the institute she runs, so she may have felt extra defensive there. I would recommend not doing it face to face, and making it out that you are interested in their comments rather than you want to blatantly criticise them!! Australia seems like a nice long way away...

U

Criticising others' work because is has errors or is wrong or can be improved upon is fine. Criticising because we're in a bad mood is wrong.

Also you have to get your facts right. If someone publishes E=w*q^2 and I come along and say it should be E=w*q^3, and the research community agrees with me, then I'm more respected, but if I'm wrong I look silly.

O

I have the weird feeling I've stepped too far and my critique is standing on thin ground. But now it's too late as I've pressed the button and sent off the email. In Sidney it's now 8.42am, so in couple of hours I will either receive a)no reaction, b) a positive reaction (unlikely) or c) a nasty reaction. I will keep you posted...

K

ah well dont worry, Australia is a loooong way away and you'll probably get no response anyway! as long as they're not your external examiner it doesnt matter!

T

If they're an academic, I'd expect to hear in a couple of weeks, not a couple of hours!!!

O

LOL@TheCoastman

O

Errm, strangly enough, the guy has already replied. He thanked me for my enquiry but politely declined any further correspondence, as he is very busy.

Quite frankly, I feel like a complete fool now!

O

I really do love this. One moment, I feel like I'm actually clever enough to talk to these experts, the next moment I get hit in the face and remember what a pathetic little grain of sand I am in the ocean of academia. Maybe I should have stayed in McDonalds. Icarus trying to fly too close to the sun and eventually crashing down, that's my journey through the academic world.

P

No Otto, your'e great
I enjoy your life and exuberance, even if you are stroppy at times

P

Oops, pushed enter!!
I keep meaning to email this researcher in the US who is the guru of research in my area and I have just been too chicken. I mean, how did he get there, he had to start somewhere, so well done on not being chicken! I am going to email tomorrow, when I am less tired, or he may get absolute &^%$£" from me right now. Don't feel down, you did good

O

thanks PinkNeuron