How do you change supervisor?

D

Hi,

How do you go about changing your PhD supervisor? I'm being bullied by my current supervisors and it's making me sick with stress, what can I do? I've tried to meet with the postgraduate tutor person but they are very busy and don't seem to have time for me, what else can I do?

H

Hi

Postgraduate tutor (or Chair of Postgraduate Studies) is paid to help with things like this, I don't think they have an excuse not to see you because they are "busy". In principal, I don't think you can find anyone who is not busy in an academic environment.

By all mean, if your postgraduate tutor is busy, you can talk to your Head of Department (HOD). For any reason, no one in your department can help you issue with this, you can go to your university Graduate Association or Welfare Officer, they will help you to discuss this issue with the department.

I hope you can sort out this soon, I understand how annoying it can be when your supervisor is not being supportive, and I regretted didn't go to this option during the early stage of my research.

It's always better to solve this soon rather than later!

D

Thanks Human, I'll keep trying until someone responds!

J

have you tried looking for an alternative? if you can find one who agrees to take you on in advance of your approaching HOD then a change will be easy. if not, to find someone who will take on an extra load will be difficult for any HOD. so make it easy for the HOD.