How flexible is the flexible working?

S

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a PhD in Computer Graphics.
Already been accepted for one, considering taking it.

Got a question, that no one else has really been able to answer.

This is not a question of the hours I will have to work. I would definitely treat it as a job, with 40 hours a week going into my research, and more at crunch time.

The question I have however is that will I be expected to be on campus all the time? I really do not like working 9-5. I am a self-motivated and self-disciplined learner, and I love my subject. I prefer to work at home, and have flexible working, i.e. as long as the work gets done, it doesn't matter about a 9-5 timescale (this doesn't preclude deadlines etc)

What I am generally trying to say, is that I would expect to be spending the majority of my time studying at home by default (where i study best) and that the times I will be at the campus will be pre-arranged (meetings, seminars, training etc.)

Am I correct? Or will they want me there 9-5?
Does it depend on your supervisor? What is your supervisor like?

SuperCraggs

S

I think everything depends on your topic, the project and your supervisor. I understand a lot of the people here are in sciences and work in labs, therefore on site, however, I've just started my history phd and have been told that it would be nice to see me in the dept from time to time - we have a research student's office for our use (noticably empty every time I pass lol) and they like to see us once in a while, but it does seem that its pretty much work where you want, when you want, meet up with your supervisor regularly, ask us if you need anything, door always open etc etc, see you at the next supervisory board lol. The grad director said if you're gonna be away from the uni for more than 6 months please let us know! So for me its very much a case of work where I feel most comfortable - for me that is home as well, I love my campus but I work so much better here - constant (free) tea, my own surroundings etc. There are times I work well on campus and if I really need to remove any chance of procrastination its sometimes best to go out, but normally I work here, and do my best work here. I have a caravan converted to an office which is my space, why go to campus?
Obviously I couldn't say what your prospective dept would be like, it may be much the same - 9-5 does not work for me, more like 10-3 and then 9-12pm (I have kids), in the run up to submission for the MA it was more like 8am-3am most days - ahhhh the joys of study ;-) Ask them I guess, I'm sure they get asked, research study is different to taught and for those of us not tied to a lab then I think that the ability to be very flexible and just make sure that work is done by the time its required and that we keep up with our committments is all that matters - we just show our faces once a week or so and show willing at training, seminars etc ;-)

S

Round these parts, so long as you're doing the work, they don't mind where or when you do it. However, as the previous poster alluded to, cutting yourself off from the department for long periods doesn't do much for your standing or presence around the place.

I'm essentially a nocturnal worker but I'm increasingly finding that for the sake of my own sanity, getting up early, going into the department for say 8 am, doing my day's work then going home at say 4pm has the combined effect of separating my home and place of work, significantly reducing my procrastination, and being able to come home and chill out for the rest of the day unstressed knowing that I've done an honest day's work, now it's me time. In nocturnal mode, after a day of faffing about it's about this time I start to stress that I still need to do 7-8 hours work before I go to bed.

In answer to your question, yes it depends on your supervisor. I can, and have, been away from the department for weeks on end and nobody's bothered to ask where I am. One way around it is to regularly email, or reply to group emails in the department just so people don't forget about you.

S

I would ask your sup what is expected. Mine prefers students to worl in the dept although many people disappear on fieldwork or writing up. I go in maybe 2-3 days a month although it clusters irregularly. I work a lot from home as I only have childcare 3 days/week abd home seems the most sensible place to keep all my stuff. I do feel the need to show my face around the dpet though and intend to try and get in one day/week this term. Everyone seems to start latish and work very late.

R

I'm doing my PhD in a large arts institution, and hardly any of the graphics PhD students work in college. They are not linked to any specific large research projects though, but there purely for their own PhD research. Some drift in occasionally for seminars or other events, or to meet with supervisors, but some work in college regularly because they want to use certain bits of equipment, but definitely not because they have to come to college. They are a mixture of externally funded and self-funded students, both full-time and part-time. Actually it's the same for the fashion and art students too, everyone works all over the place, so I suppose that is pretty flexible! Needs a lot more self discipline though.

I'd assume that you'd probably have a better setup for kit at home than in college, if computer graphics is your subject, but as the previous posters have said, it's probably a good idea to ask your supervisor and also to pop in sometimes anyway, to show your face and keep in contact with other PhD students and related staff.

my sup doesn't mind how often I am in and I prefer not to go in that often just cos it costs so much and cos I don't go in, my books are not there etc. so I don't go in, a never ending circle I guess. However, my dept is very political and am under constant pressure to be there from other members of the team. I guess it all depends but if you are in a room where everyone else comes in everday it can be a bit stressful to try and buck this trend - if only for financial reasons.

S

Thanks for the replies all.

I'm doing Computer Science, and I generally tend to find that with the rise of the internet and online journal catalogs, that Computing students can work a lot more at home, and spending ungodly hours in the library isn't seen as the norm.

I also work at odd times, like I go out in the day and enjoy myself, and do my work in the evening. I also prefer stints, I generally work a couple of 60 hour weeks, and maybe a couple of 20 hour ones after that.

This is what I wanted to hear however! I won't be disappearing for months at a time, I'm sure that going in a couple of times a week won't kill me ;)

S

Oh yeah, I probably should have also mentioned that I have been offered a £15k studentship and I am full-time.

If the uni is paying, I think they might insist on spending a little more quality time with me... :)

P

My PhD was in computer science as well and I worked about 35-40 hours a week for 3 years.... sometimes less though - and I think it was the times I worked 'less' which is why I went over my 3 years.

My Supervisor was happy for me to work wherever... my biggest concern was having internet access so if it went down at home, I'd go in.. and if it went down at Uni.. I'd go home etc...

It does depend and awful lot on your supervisor but what I would say is... make sure your face is known around your department - I'd suggest going in one day a week, meet people, talk to people in your department... although I don't like networking to 'use' people... I published some papers with others in my department and made some friends at the same time! 8-)