how formal are you with your supervisors?

R

How formal is everyone with their supervisor? Do you meet over coffee or is it mainly an office thing? Can you call them / have their home number?

Just interested in the different levels of formality between supervisors and their PhD students.

B

Hi Researcherboy

Hmm... for me, mostly an office thing. Can't imagine having my supervisor's home number and doubt I would want it. In some ways, keeping things in the office helps to keep a sense of distance. That sense of distance can be quite important at times. Especially when you get to thinking, well, you're my supervisor, mentor, guide... but this is 'my' thesis. *grin* At the same time, I know I can call him at the office if I need to, anytime, and he always answers my emails pretty promptly. I think it's a good thing to allow each other space... and to remember that your supervisor is a human being, possibly with a family, with a whole life (and job) of their own that they like to live, quite apart from the time they allocate to you. :) If I want a chat over coffee, I usually do that with friends, other PhD students, other colleagues... especially useful if you want to talk through things you don't necessarily (yet) want to talk to your supervisor about. *chuckle* At the end of the day, I guess it's all about finding a balance and, above all, finding out what works best for you and them. Get it right and you have the makings of a valuable, profitable and helpful relationship. (up)

P

i know people who are doing phds with very recent phds, lets say sup passed in 2004, this student joins in 2007...they do go for coffee and stuff...but what abt really senior people? lets say well into 3rd decade of acads and stuff...what do their supervisees say to this? do you guys call at home and stuff?

T

I get on well with my main supervisor and he is fairly informal/laid back.. I live down the road from him and he sometimes gives me a lift to and from the lab.. I have his home number etc.. but I would feel a bit strange ringing him at home. My group is fairly friendly so we often all go for coffee together including my supervisor. My industrial supervisors/advisors are all fairly laid back too.. one of them was inthe year above me during my undergrad so I know him fairly well and we often go out for beer.

R

Quote From phdbug:

i know people who are doing phds with very recent phds, lets say sup passed in 2004, this student joins in 2007...they do go for coffee and stuff...but what abt really senior people? lets say well into 3rd decade of acads and stuff...what do their supervisees say to this? do you guys call at home and stuff?

I haven't started mine yet, but my Supervisor is actually my current boss as well, so I've known her for the best part of a year. She's a senior lecturer, much older than myself. I have both her mobile and home number, she's asked me to call her home to discuss something once, and we've had a couple of mobile calls / texts - all work/PhD related of course. But mainly we email or have meetings when we need to.