How important is your co-supervisor???

S

I had a meeting today with my supervisor (who's generally great), my co- was there too. The co has only been in 3 supervisory meetings over the past year, and when he's there he constantly tries to refigure my topic to suit his research interests (he disagrees with my analytical framework, not because it isn't appropriate for the topic - he doesn't know my argument - but because he dislikes it generally). My supervisor and I get on well, she is supportive, but inexperienced, so easily influenced by the co (they are also close friends). I no way want to do the work he is suggesting, it goes against everything I believe, against my justification for doing a PhD, is on an area in which I know very little and have even less interest, and would mean scrapping the work I did in my first year (I'm a second year). How do I get around it without a major fall-out? The only other person who could act in his role is a temporary lecturer whose contract expires next summer, but she loves my original idea and her research is closer to mine than either my supervisor or co-.
Any ideas?

P

My 2nd supervisor was pointless for the first 2 years... I didn't speak to her once as I didn't feel the need... I was happy with my first and we had a good relationship, so she was my 2nd supervisor on paper only. Then, after 2 years she sodded off as she got asked to leave over some 'sensitive' issues she had handled wrongly. As it was necessary to have a 2nd supervisor, I asked a very good friend of mine to be mine when we were down the pub.. he agreed, I told my first supervisor and he was fine. Then... half way through the third year my first supervisor became very busy, moved from Systems Engineering to the Business School.. started a new research group - he didn't have much time for me so I went to my 2nd Supervisor. As I went over my 3 years, I had to write up whilst working full time and every single Sunday my 2nd supervisor would give me corrections, I would do them.. he would do more.. etc

P

- I think in the last year I have spoken to my first supervisor about.. 15 times... mostly on the phone, seen him in person once...I think 2nd's are important as they give you a different viewpoint on things - I wouldn't be happy about my PhD being pushed into a different area... but I wouldn't burn all your bridges - is there any kind of compromise you can reach?

H

My 2 co-supervisors are a major source of support for me...don't know what I would do without them. It's my main supervisor I have to worry about! lol!

S

Hi all, thanks for your messages.
I've spoken to my main supervisor about the role my co- plays, but she does not see any problem at all, instead saying it is important to have a critical voice. I completely agree, but first of all I need support! My thesis crosses two subject areas, my main supervisor covers one, my co- the other, and because my main doesn't know the other area, she just accepts what my co says.
In the end I have resorted to contacting a friend of a friend who lives in Australia (I'm in the NW UK!) who has offered to act as a supplementary supervisor. The thing is, I know of another students who is supervised by my co- who has also had problems with him refusing to engage with any work that does not adhere to his analytical framework. The guy is not doing his job properly, he accepts PhD proposals on the idea that he will change them! It's simply unfair on the students.