How is your language

E

Hi all
My thesis is in English, but my mother language is not english, and this my first time I writ a research in English. Does any body pass the same experience.

E

No don't say it , I am the only student in the forum who write in foreign language. However, it is good , I can ask you if I face a language problems.

C

You may find it helpful to grab a copy of 'Strunk & White - Elements of Style' and to read it often.

Best way to improve writing is to read a lot and to write a lot.

E

oooooohhhhhh yes , this what I was looking for , thank you very much.

M

Hi Emaa,

English isn't my first language, but I have lived in the UK for 20 years now and have done all my university level education in English. I did find the first few essays of my undergraduate degree a bit tricky, but I got into it quite quickly. Now I can't imagine doing the PhD in my mothertongue.

I guess it's just a question of getting plenty of practice! Good luck. :-)

E

hi moonblue, thank you very much for encouraging me, I did start to feel that, sometimes I cannot translate a word to my language even I understand the meaning, but I think English is very practical language. However, I still face problem in writing, how to explain my view and what tense must be used.

P

My first language is not English, as well, and this is one of the reasons why I am always so insecure about my work. One thing that helped me a lot were the english classes. Besides that, I suggest you to just read a lot, write a lot, practice your speaking skills, .... I think that you will get used to writing in english with time. Be persistent and patient!

Is it possible to complete a PhD in the UK when your first language is not english? I would like to think so, as there are many people who have done it before. Probably we need to make that extra effort and eventually we'll get there. But I would love to read about other people's experiences.

E

======= Date Modified 02 Dec 2009 23:19:11 =======
I am not in the UK but in Switzerland

E

My first language is not English either.
I have completed to postgraduate degrees in English (MA and MBA) before starting my PhD. Although at the beginning it was difficult, as it was the first time I was leaving my country in order to live and study at another country and I had to deal with a lot of things, I managed. And what I realised was that if you read a lot, watch TV (in English) and try to go out and meet people (and chat with them in English) then it gets easier.
Now, when I sit in front of my computer to do "PhD stuff" I feel like switching off my language and start "operating" in English. I am thinking in English and this is very important (sometimes I even dream in English :p ) .

So, maybe you should try to do that and start thinking in English. ;-)

Good luck!!!