How long does a PhD application take?!

A

I have applied to Leeds Uni 3 weeks ago and I need the offer asap. what should i do other than waiting?

Plz help

S

phone and ask?

A

but normally how long does it take? and is it consdidered pushy to ask them after 3 weeks of applying?and should i contact the school? or the research department?

H

Did they have a deadline? If so, I'd wait until a week after the deadline has passed. If it was a case of apply any time, then I think you've waited long enough and it wouldn't get pushy to make a quick call/send a quick email and ask whether they've received your application and when you might hear back.

A

The school of english sent me an email last week saying the following:

Your application to study for a PhD at Leeds University is currently

being considered in the School of English. However, I have been asked to

contact you to clarify whether you do indeed wish to be supervised in

the School of English, or whether you wish to be supervised in the

School of Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies.

I answered them i want to be supervised in the shcool of english.

What do you make of the above email?

S

there's nothing pushy about asking what's happening after 3 weeks if you are polite about it.

A

should i phone them?or an email will do?how can i ask 'politely'?what would be the best email to be sent to them?and does their previous email uggest anything positive?

A

I am still waiting for a very good email to write to the school asking politely about my application.

Thanks

A

I have sent an email to the postgraduate office and I got an automated reply saying that she will be back on the 24th of June. What should i do now?

P

Wait?!
My PhD app was in my Dept and I was assured I was pretty much guaranteed an offer. It still took longer than three weeks.

M

I waited approx. 6 mths for an offer and funding.

Why don't you phone up? Speak to whomever you approached to be your supervisor.

Also find out if there is a deadline for PhD applications - your application may not be considered till after a deadline.

(Is this not obvious stuff?)

A

pamplemousse

How long did you take to receive ur offer letter?and how long should i wait?

A

missspacey

there is no deadline for app.

i am self funded student.does that make any difference? do you think you took 6 months because u have applied for funding as well?

P

I received an 'informal' offer as it's my home dept, after around six weeks, the letter didn't come for another three or four though.
If you do need to know urgently I suggest you tell them tho. It won't necessarily make any difference -- I had an offer of a partial scholarship from LSE but wanted to go to Oxf; had to give my response on the scholarship rapidly, but Oxf didn't oblige in telling me whether I had an offer for another three months. Very stressful times!

A

then, i will wait till the end of June so i can give them enough time to process the app.

Many thanks to u all(: