How long does it take to hear back from interviews??

J

Hi all,

I am currently on phd continuation, getting the final chapters organised etc. However, I went for a postdoc interview about 3 weeks ago. All went well - best beta-blocker experience yet :) ) - but they haven't got back to me. I have emailed the guy requesting feedback after almost 2 weeks of not hearing back, and got his out-of-office reply saying he won't be back in the office till 22nd (I had interview on the 5th). I then contacted proceeded to contact his secretary, who replied to say they were seeking references. I contacted my supervisors, and they had received request for references (due 19th). This is good so far (I think)...

I have now given him a week to sort himself out after not being in the office for a couple of weeks etc. But assuming he does offer me the post, I am hearing warning bells here - is this a good way to start a post-doc experience if he can't sort his shit out? Is it normal to be left hanging for 3 weeks? Or am I just being paranoid - hell I've been told 'no' faster than this before.

Should I contact him again? Or assume I haven't got it and move on?

Cheers,

Jo

A

You will get told no quicker, it's easier.

Personally I think it is more likely to reflect on the institution's HR than him. His hands may well be tied with what he can do and say outside of the official procedures. I had a similar experience with a job a few years ago, job was great and manager was great. HR operated slowly, just like I could tell from the hearing after interview process, but it seems pretty common. Of course it could also be him, but I wouldn't assume it is.

A

2 weeks is perfectly normal. They cant offer you the post until your references check out, and its summer....the man is entitled to a holiday.

J

thanks all for helpful feedback...:)

Cheers,

Jo

J

- holy crap - after over a month of waiting for a response from an interview, I actually got offered the post :-)

That's probably the LONGEST waiting game ever. Thanks all for feedback and keeping it real, seems like the HR were rubbish afterall and the professor couldn't confirm till they had thoroughly checked my records. (up)(up)