How Long to complete?

C

I have just started my PhD and I am trying to figure out how long does it normally take to complete it.

My broader area is marketing-management and the length of my PhD is supposed to be 3 years. I have to take the MRes modules in my first year but on a casual basis. This means that I have to audit most of them but not actually take exams, apart from 2 compalsory modules.

Just to clear things out, this is not a 1+3 year programme. My sup. argued that I should be able to finish in 3 but need to start readings immediately and work on them while auditing the courses on the first year. On the other hand, most PhDs in the department seem to take 4 full years (most of them) to complete it.

Please share your experiences (especially if your area is business)

an excited fresher :-)

I had to do a modul or 2 in my first year too. You just have to treat it like an 'extra' with your PhD being your 9-5 job. You're lucky not having to do exams/coursework as many people do.

I would say, yet its possible to complete in 3 years. But the vast majority of people finish within 3 and a half to 4 years, especially as it can take a few months between submission and your viva. I'm aiming for 3 and a half. I would advise aiming to have a very good draft finished in 3 years, then you can afford to take a job (and get money!) after your funding has finished.

My advice would be write from the word go, even if you think its rubbish and you won't use it, it will doubtless be invaluable in a few years!

C

Hi Cellardoor, I think it depends on many things whether you finish in 3 years or not.  I think this is a real area of division between non-science and science subjects as it is possible in non-science PhDs where there is no lab work involved as so many things can go wrong that really hold up your progress. This is understood within the science world as their PhDs rarely finish within 3 years even with the best of intentions and smooth labwork as the analysis is also very involved and painstaking!!  In subjects such as humanities where people base their thesis on ideas and theories with case studies or interviews/questionnaires it is possible to finish within the 3 years.

The amount of help and supervision is also crucial to your progression. Needless to say the more help and support you get the easier it is to finish.  You are allowed a 4th year but it is unfunded in most cases. The reason that your supervisor wants you to finish in 3 years is that it looks good for the dept/uni and him/herself if you finish within the time limit.  Of course as everything is about rating and output if you finish within 4 years the dept can use your thesis as output in the RAE or its replacement - a PhD needs to be completed within 4 years for it to count.

Taking courses in your first year is pretty standard as it helps you settle in and get you upto to speed on the topic area etc... Most people don't have to take exams - that'd just be tough. 

If you can start to gather your thoughts it would be good to get them on paper and think of it as doing the leg work for your thesis. Your ideas probably will change or develop as you progress through your research so don't worry if you don't recognise it if you read it months later.  The old saying is that the more you read the easier it is to write is true though I found it easier to read and write once I had got hold of all my results and figured out what they mean.

I hope this helps and good luck with it all.  It's ok to feel totally lost esp at the start as it takes a while to settle in and for the novelty to wear off!!

(up)