How long to hear back from PhD applications?

M

Hello!

So, I've applied for three PhD programmes in neuroscience - the 4 year Wellcome programme and the 4 year clinical neuroscience programme at UCL and the King's College London Institute of Psychiatry scholarship programmes. Does anyone know how long it will take before I hear back from any of these? I know interviews for the second programme at UCL and the one at King's should be in December, but I have no idea when I'll hear if I have an interview or not!

Also, is anyone else feeling as stressed as I am?! This feels like a slow form of torture! :-D

F

Hi mookins! it really varies - I applied to 3 universities. 1 was instant, one took a month and King's College took 6 months. They all said yes so length of waiting time doesn't seem to mean anything. Best of luck!

T

Mine took 2 weeks to reply via email and say I had an interview.

H

It can vary hugely. It took over a month for them to get back to me about an interview for the PhD I was accepted on. The wheels move slowly in academia. However, if you are successful they often get back to you quite quickly after the interview.

M

Great, thanks guys! I'll just have to keep myself occupied for a while longer I guess.