How many days off?

S

Hi all.

I am starting the PhD in October but I have already booked a two-week holiday for Christmas. Now I am thinking that I may not have so much free time. What do you think? How many weeks off do you have per year? I mean completely off. Without working at all!

S

If it is over Xmas the uni will be completely shut for most of that anyway

S

Yes, the Uni will be shut but aren't I expected to work for my project anyway? That is what I don't know. Is the program so tight from the first year that you can't have 2 weeks off early on?

S

I guess you are right, I'm just a bit worried that it may be too early to ask my supervisor about holidays

M

hi,

i haven't booked anything yet buy would like to take some time off around xmas and some fridays and mondays in the meantime to travel home.

The question is whether asking the supervisor before I even start in the lab is ok?

S

Yeah, I have exactly the same problem as mellory. Would actually like to be at the Uni 3 days per week . I have arranged a meeting in 1 week with my supervisor just to talk through everything; I think I 'd better ask him all these things. I just don't want him to think that I want to avoid any work or something like that.

D

I like to take every Monday off. Also every Friday and sometimes Wednesday too.

D

It shouldn't be a problem - I asked for time off in the first month as I had something planned before I started! You are entitled to probably somewhere between 6-8 weeks depending on your uni. However if you get a supervisor who seems to think it's okay to work you into the ground then it's a different matter!! I think they need reminding as it seems like they seem to forget what it's like!!!

S

Do they have any students? Surely they're all graduates?