How many months to write a PhD thesis areenough?

A

I am at the final year of my PhD, already started writing the thesis (I have 2 chapters of 8), and I have a very strong deadline in four months because of funding issues.

Now, how much time do you think I need to finish the other 6 chapters? Is four months realistic?

Plus, any advice in how to organize time better? (like write a draft first, then a second version.. or go directly for a good version), etc.

Any advice is more than welcome!

S

It had better be because I'm in the same boat! I have 1.5 chapters and need to submit by Xmas. It just has to be enough. Work backwards from your deadline and divide the time up until you have weekly deadlines. I am just ploughing on chapter by chapter but do keep doing bits of analysis now and then to keep my motivation going. I've got family and holiday taking up a lot of my time until end August and then I intend to Get On a Mission with this and just Do Whatever It Takes. Yes I said it here - you can quote that back to me in September when I am procrastinating.

If only I could actually find my supervisor to read drafts - but that's another thread....

L

if you have 4 months, it will take you 4 months. if you had 1 year it would take you one year.
basically whatever time you have, you organise yourself and work more each day. if you had a year to write a thesis, you would probably just spend a couple of hours each day and the rest procrastinate. if you only had one month, you would work 10 hours in the day.

J

Just giving you an overview of my personal experience. I wrote four out of 9 chapters within the first two years. That was 40k.

The actual final writing up until I reached my word limit of 80k (the writing of the analysis 40,000) took me exactly 12 weeks or three months. Then it took me a further 7 weeks for cosmetic changes until I submitted it to my advisor. Subsequently, my advisor took 8 weeks to read the first full draft. Following that, it took me a further 4 weeks to implement the required changes. Then, my advisor took another three weeks to read it again. I will need a further 4 weeks to implement the changes (if I can decipher the comments). Then I will submit.

So, despite working very hard, the period for writing up the last 40k until submission is 27 weeks, in my case. that's nearly 7 months. So my advice is to always plan extra time. Supervisors are not the most reliable individuals on the planet.

L

the best thing to do is tell yourself you only have 3 months, and keep one month as a safety net. also set yourself shorter deadlines.

my advice, (which is what i did) give yourself a deadline, of one month, say september 1st, by which you should have a first draft of ALL your chapters. now this first draft doesnt have to be perfect, but should contain most of the stuff that will be in the final version.
and then the 2nd month, can be used to improve on the 1st draft and fill in the missing sections etc.

L

also work in one week deadlines also. say to yourself, by sunday, i have to have to get section A completed. or a rough version of chapter X.

work in short time bursts and take a break AWAY from your computer. if you begin good study habits now it will be easier for you when you're nearing your deadline.

today make a plan for the rest of the week. what chapter/section you're going to work on each day. and then during that day work on that section/chapter. and get as much done as possible.

keep track of your work progress.
good luck! 4 months is plenty of time. you can do it!

H

I think it depends on what type of PhD you are doing. Qualitative research is just so demanding. I tend to work one day and rest the next. This is because I have to critically engage with the data and the literature, and there is only so much brain juice available. Alternatively, I do little chunks and that means plenty of breaks to keep the momentum going. I applaud those who can lock themselves up and just write-up. My mind just goes blank when I carry on to eternity!