how many places to accept?

M

hello everyone.

Ive got a problem in that ive been offered two places at two seperate universities on a postgraduate diploma. Problem Ive got is that there is possible funding in the pipeline on both courses, but nothing that is definite - and to be eligible for funding you must accept the place. So basically, is it ok for me to accept both places and wait and see if
I am successful with the funding, or do I have to just accept one place and cross my fingers that the funding will be successful.

thanks in advance.

B

I believe that a condition of acceptance is that you do not hold a place at another institution. So, accepting both places will, in all likeihood, make both offers null and void. Remember, what you are accepting is a contract, like a job. Of course, if things come up, you can change your mind about a place, and people will probably understand. But nobody likes a time waster (although I know you're not doing it on purpose). The place that you end up rejecting will be annoyed, and its not great to upset people who might be useful to you in your future career! Bottom line anyway, you're not allowed.

B.x

B

Wise words from Bobby - I second them.

H

Just be honest with both places - you won't be the first person in that scenario, and they would probably know so they can plan what to do if you decide to reject the place. There might be other people further down the chain for whom offers depend on your decision - it wouldn't be fair if they were rejected because you accepted a place that you then turned your back on.

H

*they would probably want to know

M

- thanks everyone for the advice!!