How much do you share?

H

Hi everyone :)

Well I'm still here - still slogging away and STILL not out in the field! I am currently just finalising my research survey propsal for the first element of my research and I find myself wondering about how much I should share to others about the work which I am doing.

For example - I am using visitors to a small local nature reserve as a pilot for *the real deal* later next year and it would benefit the communication method to have the aims and objectives to the research on a webpage, and also when it comes to disseminate results. BUt I am concerned that by doing this I amy be opening up my research to someone else leaping on the bandwagon!

How would you handle this?!

Thanks in advance :)

S

Hi Hiccup!

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer to your question as this will very much depend on your topic, how easy/difficult it'd be to replicate the study, etc.

If I felt my research would be at risk, I would be very careful not to let others know to be honest. Mine was pretty complex to set up so I knew I was ok. On the other hand, I once met someone who couldn't share with anyone apart from close friends because anyone could have replicated hers. She was only part-time and had been warned by her sup not to share.

The only advice I can give you is speak to your sup and use your judgement. Also remember, that it is possible that others may be doing the same thing as you but you may be able to incorporate their arguments/findings to strengthen you research as well.

At least, that's how I see it.