How much does PhD topic matter?

C

Hi all...

I've been offered a PhD place, but am unsure if I want to commit myself to this topic for 3/4 years. What do people think about how PhD topic affects your future career path?

Basically my offer is for bacterial molecular genetics - investigating the genome of a bacteria, but I was turned down for investigating the effect of probiotics on irritable bowel syndrome, something I had my heart set on! I'm still getting over this but I don't want to lose track of goal of getting a PhD and having a research career. I'm not sure if I should accept this offer, or wait for something else to come up, possible waiting until next year. I'm 30 this year so also concious of time flying by!

I'd appreciate any advice anyone may have.

Thanks x x

L

Hi!
I don't believe that the actual topic matters, but what does matter is that you like it enough to finish. Take a look at the academics in your department (at least in mine): hardly no one is researching exactly what they did for the PhD thesis. If you like the topic and can see yourself still wanting to keep writing on a Saturday night/holidays, go for it. Remember though, that no matter how much you love it- at one point during the process, you likely will not.
Good luck! :)