How much power over your result does your supervisor have?

H

Take the advice given by the senior PhDers. Once you have a fall out, its curtains. Although both parties might attempt to bury the hatchet, the problem invariably surfaces like a bad penny.

R

Thanks all for the advice- it is appreciated.

What do you think of me and this academic having one more meeting to try and 'sort things out', and if not, then I take my other offer at a different Uni with diff supervisor?

R

Thanks all for the advice- it is appreciated.

What do you think of me and this academic having one more meeting to try and 'sort things out', and if not, then I take my other offer at a different Uni with diff supervisor?

H

Another meeting would be really good. The fact that you are willing to talk about the issues will make you come across mature and hopefully, your supervisor will respect you for it.

If it really isn't working, then definitely take up another offer would be a good idea.

A

I'm a bit confused about your situation - you haven't actually started working with your supervisor but you have already fallen out? This is a really bad sign and may mean that you have to think carefully about why you want to do your PhD, how you want to do it, and whether you are willing to work co-operatively with a supervisor at all. What is important to you regarding support / guidance and do you think this person can really provide this for you? I can't really offer advice because you haven't given us much information to work with.

Picking the right supervisor is definitely the most important thing you will do with regards to this project. I didn't think these questions through before I started and I am now in the position of switching supervisors at the point when I should be submitting - I've been given a 6 month extension but I still haven't met my knew supervisor... this is far from ideal and my PhD has been a really painful experience because I had the wrong supervisor. Don't make the same mistake.

R

======= Date Modified 03 Sep 2008 14:54:39 =======

Quote From alicat:

I'm a bit confused about your situation - you haven't actually started working with your supervisor but you have already fallen out? This is a really bad sign and may mean that you have to think carefully about why you want to do your PhD, how you want to do it, and whether you are willing to work co-operatively with a supervisor at all. What is important to you regarding support / guidance and do you think this person can really provide this for you? I can't really offer advice because you haven't given us much information to work with.

Hi Alicat - we've been working together on a project, with me as a research assistant - we fell out over my role in a grant application, and also over pay

A

it sounds to me like you should definitely ditch this supervisor - you don't want to be stuck with someone who isn't willing to give you full credit, or recompense, for your contribution. This will be min three years of your life and with a supervisor like that it'll feel like more. good luck!

J

I have said this before, but you do need to remember that your supervisor - potential or actual- does not work in a bubble. If you feel that this person is not the best person to be your supervisor, then that is one thing, to go off in a huff for whatever reason justified or not, is not a good thing to do. People in the field talk to one another and you should attempt to keep on good terms with them all, it is only a short time out of your entire career so tread softly when you encounter these problems. They happen to us all (unless you are very lucky) and you just have to be philosophical about it and try to see a way round hte problem, if you need to say sorry, even if it wasn't your fault, then do it. I really don't think your supervisor would allow you to fail, why should they?

During your PhD there will be lots of times where things, some big, some small, go a bit awry, that is the nature of the beast, but you have to get over it and get on. However if this is the person you want to be your supervisor, then go and apologise it will cost you nothing in the long run, and you will feel better too I expect:-)

H

Quote From carol_chen:

I agree with other people here. If you don't get along with your supervisor now, it's the best to switch. A supervisor can not fail you without any reason, but s/he can make your Ph.D. so miserable that the whole thing is not worth your time or energy. And this will not make them look bad among their peers. They may get a bad reputation among grad students, but they won't care. Even if their peers know that they are not good supervisors, it will not ending up hurt them. The supervisor is the most important factor in your PhD experience.

Hi....carol..
just newly joined this forum
may ask a question....if you're doing a survey questionnire, how do you make sure that the person to be answered the questionnaire is the right person?
i.e.you are expecting only quality manager to response to your questionnaire not other persons. pls share your experience if any

C

Quote From halimlazim1973:

Hi....carol..

just newly joined this forum

may ask a question....if you're doing a survey questionnire, how do you make sure that the person to be answered the questionnaire is the right person?

i.e.you are expecting only quality manager to response to your questionnaire not other persons. pls share your experience if any

Hi halimlazim1973, I am not sure. But I know there are ways to choose your experiment sample. I know you can do random sampling. In your case, I think you will need to define what counts as "quality managers" first. If there is not already available a pool of these people, you will have to give it some hard criteria. Then draw your sample from people who meet the specified criteria. Of course, the challenge is to define them. I think you can read about it in the internet or a book.