How should I ask for a VIVA dates

J

Since my thesis has been sent from my Uni 5 weeks ago and I am not currently located in UK, in order to arrange VISA and air-ticket, I really need to know one or several likely dates for my VIVA as early as possible.
I directly sended a mail to my external, but it is advised as improper by my supervisor. I also emailed my supervisor two weeks ago to describe my situation with available dates which is also forwarded to external , but no feedback since that.

I am thinking about sending a another e-mail now, but really don't know what to say. So I just wonder how you guys approach external or supervisor to get a likely date for VIVA.

Looking forward to your tips.

S

I gave my supervisor a list of dates I would be out of the country before I submitted which he then passed to my internal (but my impression was that he could not guarentee they would be taken into account!). I gather it is not usual for us to contact our examiners - but if you have to - I would contact your internal, not your external examiner, as they are usually the ones who coordinate and arrange the viva date with you.