How to annoy people

S

I have a part-time job in a shop to help pay the bills during the PhD (although desperately trying to cut my hours!). Anyway, on Friday I found out that a funding bid that my friend and I submitted to the AHRC had been accepted. On a break at the shop, I rang some friends to let them know we'd got the £2000 we'd asked for, and I was overheard by one of the full-timers at the shop who shouted at me "So is that where my taxes go?!?!?!"
What the heck am I supposed to respond to that??? I tried to explain the value of the conference we're going to hold with the cash (looking at human rights for linguistic minorities, especially in newer states), but that just made things worse as she started ranting on about how people who come to this country need to learn English, or they shouldn't come here....
How do the rest of you deal with that kind of reaction?

A

I'd tell them that no their taxes went on the Iraq war and building roads. Your taxes went on this grant. Have they not checked the personal tax register? ;-)
There are times when you aren't going to change people's minds, and taking the wind out of their sails is alot more fun, and imo more productive.

R

I'd find a human interest angle and a concrete, currently newsworthy example from The Daily Mail or The Sun, then try to condense it into a sentence that only a completely unfeeling pig would argue with. Think of how journalists spin the same story for different popular audiences, to the point that you'd never guess it all stemmed from the same facts. You could have alternative versions for different political opinions. There must be a way to shut people like that up!

G

Ignore it!!! You will never change people who have small minds.

B

Ah f**k that!
Go on the web, print off the expenditure of the needless war in Iraq and show her where her taxes go! Also, while at it, print off a few application forms for college courses and say that she is entitled to apply for such courses and get similar funding - its all a matter of choice. You'll always have the person to pi$$ on your parade so don't let them ruin your good mood. Fair dues to you - looking for funding is a tough and sometimes demeaning process, so feel good and proud of your achievements and use the money wisely. Sure invite her to the conference as well - it might open her mind a bit.

Sleepyhead - you are always going to have people who complain about us students being lazy. It makes life a lot easier to agree with them and remember that at some stage in the future we all will be making the same complaint. We all know well that this money won't be used in the college pub (well, a congratulatory pint wouldn't go astray ;-)

Congrats and keep on truckin'.

M

I wouldn't bother attempting to explain the contribution your research makes etc. because to someone who isn't a researcher or academic...they often just don't get it. It's like attempting to explain to an ignoramus why you are worthy of holding the title 'Dr', but you don't wear a stethoscope around your neck.

Possibly you should point out to your colleague that the higher education sector is a massive industry for the UK (I think it's in the top 10 of our industries) because we provide the education gold standard, and we maintain that quality because of the investment/taxpayers' money that is poured into British universities. If that standard wasn't maintained, then students would simply go to the US or other countries, and lots of the students (who may spend money in this shop you work at) would disappear, support staff would lose their jobs, and the investment/gentification of local towns would disappear...

P

Yup! I second Misspacey!

(On a sider, a shop assistant once told me my parents are the doctors of leaves and grass, a way of saying useless people! One holds a PhD in management another english literature, and no stetho so what, a DOCTOR? haha!)

B

But don't turn this into a "them vs us" situation at work - you still need this cash and don't want to create an image of the snobby student. I am sure there are aspects of this person's life that are difficult and this had moulded her opinion of students. Watched "Into the Wild" on Friday night and one great line ... "But there is some kind of bigger thing that we can all appreciate and it sounds to me you don't mind calling it God. But when you forgive, you love. And when you love, God's light shines through you"

In no way religous myself and not taking the higher ground, but have to just let this slide and forgive & forget. Besides, we can sometimes create an air of snobbiness around us students. One of me best muckers (who abhors students, but we get on - dunno how), told me of a part-timer in his place (a retailer) who told a full-timer, who has a kid to support, that it was beneath him to take that job. Thats the flipside that full-time staff see and hear from time to time.

As you can see I am really being Mr. Consistent today - main point is congrats on getting the funding but don't create unecessary hassle for yourself and if possible, maybe get a chance to hear this person out.

By the way - watch "Into the Wild" if ya haven't yet ... really great and moving movie.

A very admirable and tolerant approach from Bonzo but I'm afraid I'm not that charitable. If people can't see the importance of academic excellence and achievement for the international standing of a country, and begrudge you 2 grand after the blood, sweat, tears and pound signs you've given for this worthy cause, then they are nit wits. Jealousy is rife amongst under - achievers. And I'm afraid dancing with the devil is sometimes necessary to achieve a PhD, but this under achieving, and bitter, ship in the night will surely one day be forgotten as you progress you career. Congratulations on the 2 grand, that's quite an achievement, I'm sure you have quite a career ahead of you. 
;-)

Oh, I deal with that kind of reaction by not putting a value on the person or what they say. They are clearly not your friend or supporter. But as this is work, getting on with them is part of what you are paid to do - so just do your job,, no more,, no less. You have my sympathy.

Oh, again! 'mind your own business' could be a good response: ear wigging other peoples' outside work calls which are none of your business is out of order - you could do it a humorous way.

Sorry for the multiple postings.

S

I've never managed to figure out a response that'll make people like that go "Oh, you're right! I'm sorry...". I'm still trying though!

K

Ask what would she rather her "taxes" be used for? Point out the good of what ur doing! At least the money is going to good use and not ending up in the hands of benefit takers sitting around smokin and drinking all day!! lol

If that dont work tell her it wasnt her tax money...it was some one elses!!