How to apply for a PHD course

K

I am interested in apply for a PHD course and wondering if I have enough experience and qualifications. I have a BSc Computer Science, a PGCE in Secondary Education (ICT) and completing a MSc Computer Science (Merit), I have also have over 20 years of experience and I still feel this is not enough to sell myself for a PHD course. What do you have to do to get a place an university, really confused. Some universities are so unhelpful. Really would like the advice. Kind regards

B

Sounds to me as if the only thing you lack is confidence. As long as your PhD is Computer Science related, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a place. The key thing, once you've isolated a likely university, is to put together a decent proposal.

Most university websites provide a list of people to contact informally with regards to doing a PhD. Even if you haven't had helpful experiences in the past, I'd urge to email a few, outlining who you are, what you've done and your ideas. Somewhere along the line, you will find someone who'll give helpful feedback.

G

Yep, you're good enough (easily). You just have to have a go through the rigmarole of applying (successfully) for something. Not exactly a fun experience I agree.

K

Thank you so much for your help, this gives me some confidence.

K

Hi, does universities look at the higher qualification such as the MSc in Computer Science or the BSc in Computer science when applying for PHD course?

B

Yes, they will look closely at all your qualifications and experience.

Also, just in case this applies to you, if you want to study at a university in the UK and English is not your first language, they will want you to prove that your English language skills are up to the task.

B

There are many different nationalities using this forum. As you've done a PGCE it sounds as if you are based in the UK, but it would be helpful to know for certain which country you want to do a Phd in and where you are from.

K

I am definitely from the UK (Newcastle). Despite having a first degree would my Master be more relevant.

S

Sounds like you are anxious that your first degree is not as good as your masters. This is a common situation that pops up a lot on these boards. Technically, some universities might insist on a 2.1 even with a merit at MSc - but many are flexible so you will just have to make enquiries and see. Funding is more problematic. There is absolutely no reason why you should not be good enough if it so happens you have a 2.2. - it's just a supply and demand technicality so don't let that put you off applying.

B

If Smilodon is right, I agree, don't be put off if your undergraduate degree isn't great. Y've got loads of working experience by the sounds of it, which counts for a lot. Just go for it and keep on applying until you find a uni who wants you. It might take more than one try, but I think you've got everything you need to get a place. Don't be afraid to go for funding either - you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.