how to approch a supervisor

H

I'm looking for the best tips to approch a supervisor.A sample letter to a supervisor if avilable will be veru usefull for me.
Thank you

S

carefully

H

so helpfull

S

I think you should read some of the professor's papers, find out what kind of research is done in his group, department etc., find a topic you might be interested in and then write a simple and direct email saying you're interested in that particular topic and asking him if there might be an opportunity for you to start a PhD project under his supervision. There's no need to write a fancy email at this point.
I hope this answers to your question, it was rather general...

H

actually i'm a newlanded in toronto,canada.i was told that it was easy to enroll in any program you want;all depends on many.but the truth is the admission requirements and the procedures are very hard over here.i've got a master in sport,and i was asked to find a supervisor first;which is not an easy task:beacuse i already approched one but he did not reply.that's why i've been a little bit scared to get another smash right on the face.you think once i approch a supervisor for the first time i need to be quit formal?thx

J

first of all, have you got a topic in mind? Once you have an idea about the area, try to find some articles, papers etc written in that area. Look at who is writing them and find one or two whose style you like. Read several of their articles, even if they are in slightly different areas from the one you want to research, then e-mail them, comment favourably on one or two of their articles and tell them about the area you would like to study, how you think that their work would inform your own area, and how much you would like to study with them as your supervisor. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using this sort of approach, it shows you can research, you know what area they are working in and how your work would fit in with it, and if they can't help they may know someone who can!

H

thanks SOFIA AND JOYS your advices are so helpful.I really appreciated.