how to choose between two labs

C

Hello! I've got a tricky choice and I will be so grateful if someone could give me some advice of what is the most important factor to consider. I got offer (and funding) from two quite equal labs. First lab has a clever supervisor and after the 40-minute talk I feel we will get along quite well. He gives freedom to PhDs and never push them. He is quite busy but is always available on phone/e-mail. But I have the fear that when I get stuck, I can't get out myself without much help. The second lab has a caring supervisor who spends lots of time with the students, but is less impressive than the first lab (less publications/awards). The second lab is geared towards translational drug discovery while the first lab is more theoretical/basic science. I want to try out translational research now and may want to pursue a career in industry after PhD. should I pick the second lab due to its connection with my future career?

Oh, and also, how bad is it to withdraw after e-mail acceptance of the offer 1.5 months ago? Will the supervisor get very annoyed?

S

hi Catcat; I would say, choose the phd according to what you really like, not what you want to be, although that is also one of the reasons for your choice. Some people do phd in Subject A but end up working in Subject C, D, or E instead.
For me, the best reason would be to do a phd in a topic which is my true interest. Career will fall into place after.

Also, I don't think it is bad to withdraw email acceptance; but if you take a longer time to reply, you actually deprive another potential student of the offer/position/studentship. Simply said, if you dont want it, give this opportunity to others. So it is best that if you are VERY VERY SURE that you want to say "no thank you" and you know that you are very very very sure, then don't take so long to tell them.

T

======= Date Modified 22 Mar 2010 22:25:20 =======
Catcat, I assume this means that you were looking at and applying for other phds after you got an offer from the first one? If so, it would suggest that you may not be that keen on the project anyway? I'd say go with your gut instinct, I'm sure you'd cope fine with lab 1, but if it's really not in the subject area you want then don't be swayed by an impressive set of awards or publications (there are no guaranties your own work would benefit from these).
No supervisor will be pleased to be let down but there's absolutely no sense in going into a phd knowing your hearts not in it. Be honest, accept that they'll be disappointed and then enjoy the project you have picked :-)