How to contact potential post-PhD research partners?

D

Hello, first post!

I'm (hopefully) 8 months from finishing my thesis. My partner is moving with her lab to another uni, I'm a geographer, a completely different discipline to her. As it happens, where she's going is pretty much perfect for the kind of stuff I want to do, and I've found a few potential researchers and profs to approach.

So, question: has anyone got suggestions on how I should approach them to ask about work opportunities / putting in for funding together? Some things I'm mulling over: should I wait until I have at least a working paper completed? (None done yet!) Is is reasonable to be honest and say that the move is due to my partner? Should I just generally be very enthusiastic, include a CV etc? (Luckily I am very enthusiastic about what I'm doing!) Is it OK just to drop in an email to ask some initial questions and say who I am?

So yes: any ideas anyone has on approaching this would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks...

A

Hi DanO

Kind of a hard one to advise on. From my experience those in the world of geography pretty much all know each other, or know someone who knows someone in the field so I think I would ask your current supv(s) for advice and ask if they know anyone in your partner's new uni. It's not unreasonable I think, to be honest and say what your 'loose' plans are. Of course that presupposes that they know you're hoping to submit in 8 months! If so, they shouldn't mind putting you in touch with somebody. Networking, I'm brutal at it but it needs to be done!

Good luck(up)

D

Good advice, thanks! I'll start with supervisors...