how to convert your dream into a Phd??

K

hi guys,
I am currently pursueing Msc in medical biotechnology and would like to do Phd regarding my own proposal in the field of medical informatics, but i am concerned about 2 things:

1) In most of the places, even if i get fellowship towards Phd, I will be asked to work for a given project for which funds are already granted. I really doubt whether i will be given chance to take my own proposal towards Phd.(i understand Most investigators seek research proposals from student just to know thier research aptitude and hypothesis building capacity)

2) I will be needing guidance in fields of computer science(database construction and management), public health care as well as bioinformatics. Since these fields are quite diverse, i really dont understand where should i apply or whom should i contact.

Could some one please give me some information along these lines.

G

Are you an UK (or EU national)? A big issue too.

K

Hi.I am Indian

G

Thats a MASSIVE issue, and will severely effect your funding prospects. It may be an idea to look for funding from your own country. You chances of getting funding in the UK are slim.

K

thats very disappointing.. .. thanks for your help though...

O

I find the whole issue of funding an interesting one. So many different things on offer. The US only recently became more generous with the LOAN funds for post graduate work, about a year and a half ago, and so I was well pleased to be able to take out loans to fund my education--it was not a choice I had at the start. Going in debt at this point in life is not a thrilling prospect, on the other hand, it is my one life, this is a dream I have, and I will do whatever it takes to make it happen. I realize people have an aversion to student debt, but if the choice are loans or no PhD, I would take the loans--over time the money should pay itself back not only in terms of real dollars/pounds/euros/name your currency but in the things that you cannot really place a price tag on--fulfillment, accomplishment, more enjoyment of what you are doing, etc.

R

Hi!

I am from overseas, and I got full-funding! It is possible, but you REALLY have to dig for it, and apply for everything that you can.

Good luck!