how to deal with an arrogent supervisor?

A

My supervisor shower me with his rude negative comments. for example, instead of advicing me on way to improve my writting he will say " your writting is bab" etc..
annoying me, especially I am trying my best. anyone have such annoying arrogent supervisor? how to deal with them!

A

correction he said "your writting is bad"

S

Presumably, this is the same supervisor who selected you for your PhD?

It's early days so I'm a little surprised their getting hung up on it. What I tend to find is that the more I read, the more my writing improves because I start to write like the people I have read (and also because it enriches by vocabulary). So I wouldn't worry about what they say apart from asking them what they expect your writing to be like.

U

ALIA SAID: "how to deal with an arrogent supervisor?
My supervisor shower me with his rude negative comments. for example, instead of advicing me on way to improve my writting he will say " your writting is bab" etc..
annoying me, especially I am trying my best. anyone have such annoying arrogent supervisor? how to deal with them!

correction he said "your writting is bad

U

The answer is: your english is full of grammatical and spelling errors. So he probably has a point.

Rather than complaining here, you might consider improving your language skills!

Before everybody goes wild now, that's my last post, so calm down.

I'm just telling you how it is!

H

Alia, don't take what the others have said badly. Even though my first language is technically English, my written work isn't always amazing.

However I am glad that my supervisor points out my mistakes. Take it as constructive critisism and improve yourself.

A

Well, I know my writting is not good at all. but the way to criticize and to make a considered assessment of the qualities of something is not simply by saying it is bad!! my supervisor did not try to give any advice on my weak points or how to correct things!

P

I agree that your supervisor is probably trying to help you. Its no good saying something is OK when it's not & if you've been told your writing needs help - then I would take this on board. However there is a way of saying things to people in a 'human' way & I don't think there is ever an excuse for being unkind in feedback.
Btw : don't worry too much about spelling and grammar on a forum - it's not as if you're writing a formal application for advice As long as people can understand your question, a few typos really doesn't bother most people. I think it's netiquette to be able to make a few mistakes on CMC.

A

Pea, thank you. you really got my point. I agree my writting is not good and full of mistakes. I am trying to improve it. but yes there is more "human" way to criticize. and to be honest accepting criticisim especially if it was not constructive is very hard.
I teach a lab in which I have different levels of students, but I never told anyone of them that he or she is doing bad. I could say you need to work on this more or if you look carefully at that etc..