How to economise

L

I know the feeling. It makes you slightly despondant does it not that we all work so hard and have so much education, yet are so ruthlessly skint!
I wonder if postdoctoral will pay any better?

J

I think it does: my friend who is due to have her viva next month has just begun a postdoc position in the same lab, pretty much doing the same stuff that she did during her PhD. She's on 35 grand now!

H

Juno, get ferrous gluconate if you are worried about iron. It doesn't have the side effects that ferrous sulfate does (the sod). Just take one a day and you will notice a difference. Just buy over the counter.

J

Thanks H. So I will be nice and regular if I take this stuff? Last time I took iron I was bunged up for a week.

H

It is much more mild than sulfate (which causes the constipation, black poo and bloating). Take an hour before you have a meal and drink it with a glass of orange juice to increase intake. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that tannin in tea hinders the process!

J

Actually I didn't know that! I've heard that polyphenols in tea are precipitated by milk and rendered inactive: is it a similar reaction?

(just trying to sound as if I know my medicinal chemistry...)

H

Actually.... I don't know! All I know is that taking iron supplements whilst drinking tea is BAD!