How to get into a PhD program

H

======= Date Modified 03 10 2010 09:10:17 =======
Hi everyone,

I guess, my title is pretty self descriptive. It would be great others (those who are already doing their PhDs or those who have completed one) share their experience how to get into the program, procedures of getting into the program and what to expect. According to my knowledge, we need to write a research proposal and a few other letters (if we are looking for some sorta funds or scholarship). Again, writing a research proposal may vary, depending on different universities and professors likings. It would be great if someone kindly answer the following questions.

1. Should I contact to several professors at a different university or should I better off write my own research proposal (my own version)?

2. Contacting to professors should be done in the first place rather than contacting to other departments (such as international student admission) ? (I am thinking here like ok a professor says he/she likes my idea of research then later on what if there are a few problems with admission ? )

3. What if a professor says they aren't interested in something I would like to do but I'm so head over heels to study in that particular University (should I keep sending emails to those professors who aren't interested in my idea of research or should I change my research area to something that might be interested by the professor and keep sending ? )

4. Will I stand a chance against getting into a PhD program without having any working experience nor a M.sc degree but only a 1st class B.Sc (Hons) degree ?

Thanks all. Please at least answer question 1 and 2 if any of you dun have spare time to answer all. That's the 2 questions which been confusing me.

Best Regards

There are, basically, two ways to approach this:

Firstly, if you are looking for a funded place, then you'll need to see what's advertised in different institutions these days in the UK anyhow, either check the websites of places you wish to study with, or check TES or a similar. You should apply in the manner requested in the advertisements.

Secondly, if you are prepared to go self funded, then you need to identify your research area yourself, and then approach suitable supervisors, taking care that they have a good reputation as academics and as educators, and that they are open to supervising in your area if this information is available- many state this on their webpage. Personaly, I wouldn't do a self funded PhD unless it was a topic I was completely passionate about, so I wouldn't want one foisted on me.

Do not harass people who have turned you down - if you are open to other areas of research, then just say this in your initial emai, and they can respond however they wish.

K

Hey there! When applying for a PhD you can either apply for one that is already being advertised, or you can come up with your own topic, write a proposal, and look for a supervisor and funding for it. It sounds like you have your own ideas about what you want to do, so it would make sense to look around to see if there is anyone in particular that you think would be able to supervise your topic, and contact them to see if they would be interested. If you find a potential supervisor you will then need to look for funding, unless you are prepared to self fund. If they're not interested in supervising you, then it's probably pretty pointless to keep emailing them about it. If they are interested in something similar, then they would probably let you know, and you can decide whether your interests coincide to the extent that you can come up with a topic that interests you both. Whether you need an MSc or not depends on your subject. For a lot of subjects you won't be required to take an MSc, but for some subjects it is a requirement, so that is something you will need to check out with the uni/supervisor you are interested in. Hope that helps! KB

S

Hi, i'd second everything that KB and Eska have said, but whatever you do don't hassle a prof - they don't like it! No generally means no and if you continue to contact them then they might get annoyed - always be extremely polite.

The other thing I'd say is that I wouldn't consider doing a PhD unless you are extremely interested in the subject matter and you will be prepared to spend 3 or 4 years studying that exclusively - its a long slog and so to change your research area significantly just to fit in with a certain prof's interests would be bringing stress and trouble on yourself and lower your chances of completion. Most of the people that I've seen come on here in trouble and wanting to quit are people who have bent their interests to fit that of a set program and its been a disaster for them, emotionally and professionally.

Decide on what you want to do, check the sites mentioned to see if there are funded opportunities already there studying the topic you want to study, if not then contact suitable potential supervisors to see if they'd be prepared to consider your proposal, if you get a yes then you need to discuss with the administrator for the proposed dept funding opportunities - they are on deadlines so you have to work around them - research council funding is limited but there are also university scholarships and a mass of smaller scholarships that you could apply for dependent on your personal circumstances.

Hope that helps a little

P

Quote From harrylynn:

4. Will I stand a chance against getting into a PhD program without having any working experience nor a M.sc degree but only a 1st class B.Sc (Hons) degree ?

You should do. I got my offers with a 2.1, and I know of a fair few others who managed as well. It will depend on competition though. Not so relevant if you're going self funded (and a 1st should be more than enough for that) but if it's a funded place there'll be more competition. Shouldn't stop you applying though.

H

Thanks all for pointing out. Looking forward to hearing more.

E

======= Date Modified 03 Jul 2010 14:43:06 =======
Check findaphd.com and similar sites for advertised (usually funded) places, also look at university department websites, this seems to be the main way of finding science PhDs.

If no luck there, you could email academics you're interested in working with. There's probably no need for a full research proposal initially, just say a bit about your background (possibly attach cv) and what sort of research you want to do, and ask if they might be interested in supervising you. If so you can discuss funding, how to apply etc, and they can will let you know if they want you to produce a research proposal.

I got a funded PhD place with a 1st class BSc and no MSc, and know people who did with a 2:1, so it certainly can be done, though a Master's probably helps (mine is a 4-year program including an MRes in the first year, that might be something to look into). It all depends on the competition for places, and especially for funding.

H

Thanks all for answering my question out of you guys busy schedule and I am looking forward to hearing more opinions. Another question popped up on my mind and I hope you guys dun mind helping me on this one too. How long does it normally take to get into a program since we have been somehow got accepted. Let's not think about intake here. Let's just say I start to contact a professor and ok let's just say he/she likes my idea. We send a series of email back and forth (probably a week) then my research proposal (probably another one week). Then he/she read my proposal and tell me what he/she thinks (let's assume that professor likes my proposal and I've been accepted here and it takes 2 weeks). So far, it's been a month.

Then I talk to admission dept and available scholarship (I am thinking like it would take 2 months here). I might need to take IELTS here so let's say another 2 months. So, total 6 months or could be a year (if I missed an intake or something) ? My point is, if I were that professor, after like 6 months, I don't think I would even remember that proposal. So, would there be any chance like I will have been rejected after all the procedures been done because it takes too long for me to actually get into the program ?

I'm sure you guys get a basic idea and the reason I am asking this is, I've gotten a job offer and it is pretty good one too. I guess I need to know when to write the resignation letter so that everything could go well as I plan. Again, thanks all and correct me if I am wrong here because I have no idea what I am about to face.

Best Regards