How to get PhD position?

O

I am searching for PhD position from long time,but not getting , i am new to forum and after getting fed up of applying through applications i am writing here

Can anyone tell me techniques tactics to apply?
is there any place that has good PhD grants,less competion and valuable PhD degree

H

Some questions which will help people answer you:
1. What's your broad field/subject area?
2. Which country/countries are you applying in? Are you a home or international student?

O

Hi Haze

my answers are can you help in suggesting?

Chemical Engineering/Polymer Nanocomposites/Polymers
i applied in almost all countries like canada,denmark,netherland etc , yes applying as international student!

I am not sure what you are wnating to do or what country you are from, as this affects funding.

However, my blog may offer you some help.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

L

Hi, I am Collins from Nigeria. Two challenges I have include the low 2.2 grade in my undergrad and a relatively high masters grade(68%) both in mechanical engineering combined with a total confusion about how to come up with a research proposal.My questions: how do I get a supervisor?, how do I get to write or develop the research proposal which most schools request as a prerequisite for phd applications and how do I work around my poor performance to get a scholarship as support.?
I need help.

B

you should not worry much about your grades but concentrate on your research proposa document. You will realise as you search that most universities will highlight what they look for in your proposal.Please pay attention to that and obviously write like a PhD aspirant. There has to be a differentiation between a PhD guy and an undergrad.

good luck

F

Hi levavi,
I will suggest you first of all decide on which area of Mechanical Engineering you want to pursue your PhD research on (e.g Energy and power, dynamics, fracture mechanism etc) and try to contact prospective supervisor. You can do this by checking the University/department website you want to apply to and looking at the staffs profiles, area of interest and publications to identify any staff that his/her area of research interest matches yours, you can then contact the person. In some cases, some of them might have projects already (as such, you likely will not need to write any proposal) , just looking for the right candidate to start the project ( might be funded). All you just need to do is to convince the person that you have good background/skills may be from your previous degrees or work experience to carry out research in such area. You can highlight this skills/strong background in your CV which I believe he/she will ask for, if he/she is interested in taking you after your first email. I secured my supervisors for the two PhD admissions I got through this means. I didn't write any proposal, my supervisor forwarded the proposal he had already to the admission unit to support my application.
I will also suggest that you try and be specific in your first email to the prospective supervisor e.g your academic background, work experience (if any), areas of interest and ask if he/she has any available project in that area.

All the best

Favourike30