how to make stats look pretty?

E

Hi all,

I am currently trying to get graphs together, to include stats - except it looks like a stats programe vomited stars all over the image. I havea graph which is made of 8 columns and each one contains 5 sub groups - they all have between 3 and 9 significances to illustrate (within a main group). It does not look nice, i think it is bordering on excessive - but maybe i am being too much of a control freak.

Has anyone any suggestions of what is acceptable? Or has anyone ever seen any papers with crazy looking stats on it (and possibly thought 'man, that is ugly...')

I dont know what to do, becuase it will take a long time to fix it all - and may well have to be changed anyway...

Cheers

S

Eurgh, stats. They look prettiest when thrown in the bin and lit on fire.

At a guess, what you currently have is a number of multivariate star graphs on the same axis? Could you not just show each one individually?

I apologise if this is useless. Please feel free to only consider the first part of my response.

E

Yep, would really really like to scrap all the stats – apparently it has a function though ?!?! Damn that…

The other suggestion is good – however, there are 32 groups of data, so I think 32 extra pages of data might be a little annoying ?

Thanks for the thoughts though!

erm, if its graphs, I ALWAYS do graphs on excel - mainly because I understand how to get them to look the way I want, better than SPSS or other stats packages. Its also easier to change colours etc. and edit them.

I did see one thesis that had transparent overlays for graphs which was quite fancy and made them more readable.

E

Sneaks - the transparent sheets the best idea i've heard so far. Although i think maybe i will have to get my supervisor to make the last call on it - my idea of what looks ok is sometimes a bit different to the college guidelines (which are sometimes not as informative as they should be)