How to tell the university I can't accept the PhD offer right now.

J

I have just got a PhD offer, but it is not my first choice and I am still waiting for the decision of another one, which might come out at least two weeks later. The offer I got is good, and if I couldn't get another one, I will definitely go for it. But I don't know how to reply to the university telling that I can't make the decision whether or not to accept the offer immediately just because I am waiting for another. Anyone had the same experience? I would appreciate your suggestions very much!

S

maybe you can communicate them the situation, and see if they are willing to wait. The situation will not be clear until you speak with the University. You can on the other hand, also contact the prospective university and try to find out by telling them the situation if they are considering you or how high you are on that list. when i was getting interviewed, th hiring faculty was giving me v positive signals and had said that before making any decision i should check with them......so if you are in the interview stage....talk to them, if they want you they will give you some indication....(ofcourse i am speaking from my experience in USA)

J

Thanks for that!I am under the UK system anyway. Some people told me I can accept the offer first, and if I got another one, I can turn down it then and explain to them I didn't expect the new offer before, but when it comes I decide to go for the new one.

I don't really think this is a good solution, although it does reflect the truth. Shall I get heavy blames for this?

E

Hi Jovey

I was in this exact situation. There was a two-week gap between me getting an offer from one place, and my interview at a second place. I simply emailed the first place and explained to them that I would get back to them as soon as I could. If the first institution have offered you a place, they must think you are a good candidate and likely they will hold your place open for you for a couple of weeks.

Communication is key! In the same vein, if you can tell the second place you would appreciate a speedy decision they may well respect this.

I wouldn't advocate accepting the first place in the first instance then later revoking your acceptance.

Hope it all works out for you.

ejc x

T

Congratulations on getting the offer. If this place think you are a good candidate then they should be happy to wait 2 weeks It would be really petty to say 'we'll only take you if we are your first choice'.

If they do decide to act childishly and demand a decision, then you can always say yes and then dump them if your first choice place make you an offer later on. It's not the ideal thing to do but making your own decision is more important than not upsetting them.

C

Hi,

I was in the same situation a couple of months ago. I emailed the first University and explained i was waiting to here from another uni, they gave me a deadline to decide by ( a couple of weeks i think?)

I than emailed my prefered uni explaining the situation and asked for a quick decision. I heard little back so i took it upon myslef to phone the potential supervisor, i had a good chat with him and the next day i had an unofficial offer and a promise from the supervisor.

I contatced the first uni and explained.

One piece of advice.. be honest but dont mention names. DOnt say i have an offer from x but i really want yours, science can be a very small world and you never know who knows who!

S

i would contact the other uni and tell them you've got an offer (but don't say from whom!) and you have to decide within a few days, could they already tell you if you've got the place?

wait for an answer from them and then decide. don't tell the uni that's already made an offer. i wouldn't accept and then cancel later on, those guys won't be pleased about that and you'll meet them again somewhere along the line.

J

remember you will be doing this for what will seem like a lifetime so you need to be sure you are going to the right place for you. I would do as others suggest and contact the second university, don't accept the first one and then turn it down, chances are you will meet them later on and they will never forget. Treat thm as you wuld want to be treated.

J

Hi,

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions!

I have emailed the first uni,and told them I would get back with my decision ASAP(I didn't say why though). I am going to wait for a bit longer for the second uni. If I don't get a response from them by the end of this week, I would send them an email to ask for a speedy decision.

E

WHen this happend to me, I emailed the university to say that I already had a place, this scared them as they realised that someone else wanted me and I think thats what made them come to a quicker decision.
Its a difficult situation to be in, good luck.