how to write a good CV for a PhD studentship?

A

HI All, I'm trying to write a detailed CV for a PhD studentship. Could u recommend any website where I can have a look at a CV template suitable for this purpose? I know how to write a general CV, but not sure how to write a convincing CV for a PhD. Will be grateful for any help. Acacia

G

Fair bit said about this in the past. Search through the Forum.

R

Well as a start, keep your CV to two Pages. Your CV should match the skills and knowledge appropriate to the studentship you are applying for and Phd study in general.

Think about high achievement on relevent modules of your undergraduate degree, skills you have developed: planning and organising, time managment, problem solving, communication skills ( written and oral ), specific technical skills, team work....

demonstrate a commitment to research: undergraduate placements, papers published....

www.prospects.ac.uk has an excellent section on writing CVs (including academic).

A

Thanks guys

C

IF you have have more than two pages of stuff to present then take more than two pages (this is quite likely if you have any length of work history and publications). Temporary work agencies might want 2 page cv's but academic cv's are not judged on length (either being short or long) but quality. They want to see all relevant information (including any memberships of professional bodies, publications etc).

I

Having said that, you do NOT want a CV that is vast for whatever job, academic or otherwise (PhDs included), you are applying for. 2 pages is a good standard, as many people looking at them will not want to trawl through wads.
If you really do have that much information to put on that you can't fit it in two pages, then you'll have to go higher, but that doesn't mean you can let go of any standards of brevity. Keep it short and succinct.