How well qualified for a PHD will I be?

E

I am an undergraduate student, and I just want to get an idea about my prospects for doing a PHD.

I'm at the end of my 2nd year, and am pretty hopeful of being on for a 1st in Zoology. I'm a bit worried about whether my BSc will set me up for doing a PHD. Most of the areas covered in my BSc seem to attract very minimal funding at PHD level and beyond (Ecology, Behaviour, Whole organism physiology etc.) There seems to be a lot more available on the periphery of my degree: Endocrinology, Neuroscience, Genetics, Cell Biology etc.

Do supervisors usually want to see evidence of work in the same specific field as the PHD, or do they tend just to look for general abilities (research abilities etc)?

Also, I am studying at a former-polytechnic. Obvioulsy my degree would be considered inferior to the equivalent at a red-brick, but to what extent is this true? Is there a massive difference?

Cheers for any advice, Ed

G

Hi. I can't comment on the former aspects but regarding 'former-polytechnics' where did you go. Obviously there are former-polytechnic and then former-polytechnic if you get my drift.

E

I'm at John Moores. Apparently its got a good rep for a former-poly, but I bet they all say that!

G

if I were you I'd push for a 1st.

E

"I'd push for a 1st", vis-a-vis, John Moores is not held in particularly high esteem? I'm pretty confident of getting a 1st, but I still worry about where that puts me amongst the competition. For example, is a 1st from John Moores equivalent to a 2(i) from Liverpool?

S

Ok, look at the times ed tables for the universities, you will find your answer to how good john moores is. Then again, don't let that put you off, I went to a former polytechnic, similar in reputation to john moores, and I'm doing a PhD. I did a masters though as I didn't manage a 2:1

S

Its difficult to say what a 1st from one institution is compared with to another uni, as they are all difficult degrees!!

Approach the end of your degree then test the water and apply for some projects, and see what they say. Then look at the possibility of a masters, if you have a 1st and a masters you are very well lined up for a PhD.

Do you have any work experience relevent to your field?

K

Hi, i dont think its that important where you get your degree from. I know i went up against people from oxford and nottingham and i got the PhD. I went to an old poly uni. Its all about your application/ CV and to get the correct skills in there they are looking for. Once you have an interview everyone is on a level playing feild in my opinion. Although a first class degree will certainly help doesnt matter what institution you are from. Although once again i did not get a first i had a 2:1 with 2 years research experience.

G

'I dont think its that important where you get your degree from'.

It bloody is. I know from personal expereince. As an interviewer put it to me 'Oh I see you went to UCLan..and I see Lancaster so not a complete loss'. Like for like someone from a top 10 University will [I believe] always get the nod from someone from a bottom 10. Try getting on a decent PhD with a degree from Edge Hill College and see how far you get.

Keehaa you had 2 years research experience which makes your sitaution entirely different.

K

Golfpro!!!
read the rest of what i said. I said that its what you put in your CV, so you match your skills with what they want. If you have more skills than someone from a top 10 uni then you will get the position. So i disagree with you. I know quite a few freinds that went to polys and have got positions over red brick students. So it bloodyyy doesnt matter. Its about having the skill to do a PhD what they look for.

G

Thats why I said 'Like for like' [as in all other things being equal]. In life a good biggun generally always beats a good little un. Your friends keehaa are the exception that prove the rule. I'd really [REALLY] like to think otherwise but I savvy enough to not kid myself that it isn't. I'm sure some people go onto glorious academic carrers from De Montfort Uni. Some. I'm sure lots more do so from top 10 uni's. Its only my opinion.

Anyway thats why I'm being damm picky about where I do a PhD.

E

Thanks for the info, guys. I knew that a JMU degree would be inferior 'like-for-like' with a red-brick, I just wondered how much. Thanks for your inputs.

Now, this is possibly the wrong forum to post this in, but I may have to do a masters. I notice that masters in Bioinfrmatics/quantitative genetics seem to have studentships at a lot of institutions. Anyone know how competitive they are to get (ie if I can't get on a PHD, does that mean I probably wont get a masters studentship as well?)

I have emailed a couple of institutions, but they seem very cagey and keep their cards pretty close to their chest.

S

I'm a science student too and start my PhD in the autumn on the basis of having a BSc in Geography. You will definitely need to look like your going to get a First (or could get a First) to push you up the pecking order, so time to impress your prospective referees.

However, your biggest selling point is your UG dissertation - it has to rock! You will definitely need a first in this as it is your opportunity to show your research skills. If you can do it in a hot topic all the better. If you're serious about getting a funded studentship you will need to work like hell on it this summer and through the autumn (whilst still trying to get firsts on your taught modules). So the more you do now the better. Get yourself a dissertation supervisor who understands what you're trying to achieve and tell them you'd like to write a publishable dissertation. Would you be willing to read and comment on drafts and push me in the right direction.......

S

......I did a very large dissertation and my supervisor, who was aware that I wanted to get onto a PhD, pushed me hard to produce a clear First dissertation in a hot topic. It is getting presented at a conference in the autumn. Suffice to say, I used this big time to sell myself to prospective PhD supervisors.

E

I have already started my honours project, and my supervisor is confident that I have a decent chance of getting it published. The problem is that it is in an area that I have little interest in persuing at Phd level. Would perspective Phd supervisors look at a published piece of work in a fairly unrelated field, simply as proof that I can do research, or will they say it has little relevance?