HPLC

A

I am not sure whether anyone has much of an idea on using HPLC, but hope that someone does and can help me out a bit. I am trying to detect a number of compounds in a mixture using HPLC (currently developing a method), and have managed to separate and identify most on the HPLC. What I am not certain is whether the calibration curves could be prepared as mixtures, or whether I would need to prepare calibration curves for each of the compounds separately. Thank you

A

What detection system are you using (MS? UV? etc)? As long as all your compound peaks are fully resolved, there shouldn't be a problem running your cali plots using samples containing known quantities of a mixture of the compounds. Have you checked accuracy and precision yet? Usually worth running this part of the validation before doing the cali plot. Good luck :-)

N

======= Date Modified 18 Mar 2011 01:33:37 =======
I ran my calibration curve with a know amount of standard solution, made up of known amounts of pure compounds. Worked brilliantly! So using a mixture is no problem, as long as you know what's in there. And when in doubt you can always run a separate compound afterwards to confirm your conclusions.

On another note... I've been to a very good HPLC seminar in London last week... really helpful! Learned lots!

A

Thank you to both. Re the seminar. Who was it organised by? I am on the lookout for such seminars on HPLC and LC-MS method development, so would like to check them out. Thank you

N

The seminar I went to was organised by Thames Restek. They are doing a few all over the UK. I know that one of my other suppliers, Phenomenex, also does a series of seminars on HPLC. It's worth checking them out, because they are also nice networking opportunities and a way to get discounts from your suppliers ;)