Humanities - Research collection phase question!

S

Hi Everyone,

I am 3 months into my second year of my humanities based PhD. My research is based on 40(ish) interviews which I have begun. I just wondered how others have organized their second years and how long they allowed for the actual interview phase? Did the interviews take up the whole of the second year or do people generally do much analysis during this year.

Thanks! :)

E

I am in my thrid year of a P/T PhD.
Last year I did the research (40ish interviews, as well) and the analysis.
It took me about three months to do the interviews (I am working F/T at the same time) and the rest of the year I was doing the analysis.
Now I am writing my thesis, although I am slowing down because I feel so tired because of the PhD (in another language than my first one) and because of working F/T at the same time...

P

Hi, first of all congrats for starting your interviews so early in your second year. I am awaiting my viva (10 days!) but my interviews (23) did not take place until June of my second year. I was fortunate enough to complete a full time PhD so could spend all my time on various tasks. My interviews ran from June until August and data analysis (Grounded Theory) took until January the following year. If you can, get started on your analysis as soon as you can - it helps maintain momentum of the research and will help you feel on top of things - it's easy to forget what you did and when otherwise! If it helps, I split my 3 year PhD as follows - yr1 problem conceptualisation and research design / yr2 data collection and analysis (also started Lit Rev and tried to write methods as I went along) / yr3 write up. Hope this helps - best regards and good luck.