I am so confused...

Z

I started my PhD 3 years ago and 2 years into the PhD my supervisor, who I had a great relationship with, decided to sell himself to the competitive salary of an American university. As a result I was allocated to somebody else who has very little to do with my research area and is possibly not thrilled to be supervising me (ok I understand this is quite common). The problem is though that I can't help feeling my new supervisor does not care about my progress as much as I think he should, and that is causing me a number of very serious problems.

Z

I was told recently by my thesis advisory group that the third and final part of my PhD is not strong enough to be a part of it and that I should think of something else instead, and that the second part of my PhD has to be redone. I was very shocked to hear that (and I cried for days) because the topic had been approved by my new supervisor and I had been working on it for months. More over I can't help thinking that if my supervisor had been doing his work properly then he would have given me the right feedback on my work so as to spare me the trouble (and especially the time) of redoing the second part.It's been 3 weeks since then and I still am not getting any help from him. Unfortunately he has now moved abroad and won't be coming back for quite some time.

Z

I am very disappointed and can't help feeling that I should do something to sort this mess out and stop it from happening again. But, I do not know what to do. Should I ask for a new supervisor? No one in my department shares the same research interests as me. And if so, how do I go about it.This is my 3rd year, and finding a new supervisor could take time. On the other hand I do not want to fail because I have not been getting the support and advice I should be. I am so confused and I do not know any other PhD students to talk to about this. I have been reading your posts for months and they have always been of great help for me. Can I please have some more help? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

L

Zvezda, oh dear what a terrible situation. If i were you i would be really upset also having to redo the second part and not being able to include the third part.

can you actaully approach the thesis advisory board for help ? doesnt seem like your supervisor is helping! is it possible you can try to figure it out on your own through the feebback you got from your advisory board.

i dont know what to advise you, but i am sure someone on this forum will come through with great help and advice.

F

If you are uneasy you have to inform your research manager/postgraduate tutor about the situation and discuss the possibility of a suspension until relevant supervision is found. Don't leave it. You could end up digging yourself a hole and after a few more years of unnecessary problems and extensions, wish you transferred to another uni, or even got a job.

S

This may be a rubbish suggestion, but is it possible to contact you first supervisor and ask them to give you feedback on your work?

Z

Thank you for your replies, each and everyone of you.I wish I could ask my previous supervisor for help, but he is not associated with my university anymore. Early next week I will speak to my supervisor on the phone so hopefully this will clear things up a bit. Meanwhile I am considering whether to email the director of the graduate school, who is on my T.A.G., and let them know how things are. I do not know what I can hope for, but I feel I can't take the blame for all of this.

Z

@Lara: I have taken the suggestions of the advisor group on board and they are all I have to improve my work, but because it's kinda statistical I now need feedback on the suggestions. Good luck with your project, you have been an inspiration to me