I am so tired and need your advice/kind words

J

Dear all:

Maybe it is a quarter life crisis. I am working fulltime and studying full time Phd program for 2 years. I have been juggling in the past 6 months. School is going great! However, my work sucks, many people quitted due to lack of direction, no job security, office politics, and bad leadership. I am so stressed and tired, but hang on to the job because of need the money for phd tuition.

However, I am now at my wit-ended. I really want to quit the job. I wish I have the money to pay for my school without working. I want to focus on my school work, but research funding are quite difficult in my country.

Oh, I just turn 25 and am so overwhelmed with many expectations and everything..

Sorry English is my second language!

So tired today! :(

K

Hey Jun480, sounds like you really need a breather from life. I am doing a full time PhD (end of 2nd year) and am exhausted, so how you are managing it all and a full time job I can't imagine- you must be superwoman! Is there any way you can take a week off to give yourself a chance to recuperate a little? I'm having my first week off in a year this week and although I'm still tired, I have been able to catch up on some sleep, see my friends, and I feel better already and think that when I return to my PhD I will be in a better state of mind to get on with it. Alternatively, is there anywhere you can apply for some money to cover your tuition fees? Or any chance of getting a new job that might be less demanding/more enjoyable? I guess you have already thought of these things. Either way, sounds like you need to take a little time out -I hate taking time off but after just 5 days I already feel much better. Try to squeeze a break in if you can, you deserve one! Best, KB

J

Dear Keenbean:

Thank you so much for your advice. I already requested for a week off, but no approval from my supervisor. I can take a leave at the end of July and I will.

Moreover, I will talk to my parent to night and will resign from my job. I could not take it anymore. I am young and learnt a lot from my first job experience in this organization-good and bad. It's enough for me.

Once again thank you so much. Please take care!

Best regards.

Jun

B

Think you have decided on your priority and fair dues ... it is a brave decision, but just do a tiny bit of research first into how will you replace the lost earnings.

Obviously money is a huge problem, but if you are spending a lot of time earning it in a negative environment, get out of it! Look at your options - maybe some part-time work is the answer. This will mean altering your habits (going out and so forth) but you can and will do it. Sure, you will have less money but will have more time to do your PhD. Maybe spend a bit of time over the weekend actually making out what your financial situation will be (remembering that you should also be entitled to some holiday pay). You may have timed it right as a lot of part-time teaching posts will now be available.

Your parents will understand and don't be too proud if they offer to help. That is what family is for. I am sure that they would rather give you some financial assistance than to see you in a negative situation.

Good luck and one last small piece of advice - despite the bad vibes, do not mention them when resigning. The temptation is strong, but just say you need more time to your PhD.