I'd like some advice, please

M

Hi,

I'm a final year computing student who with a bit of dedication will soon have a First, although the worst I can come away with (barring a major disaster) is a good 2:1.

As part of my final year, I'm doing a software project. Originally, I was looking at it purely from a software point of view, and not the subject area. However, as the project has progressed, I've realised it's a very interesting area and I would quite like to do research in it.

My project supervisors have already offered me a 2/3-month work placement after graduation to extend my project to a deployable application, but the subject of a PhD has never been broached. However, friends with other supervisors have been encouraged to submit proposals for their research areas, so it's certainly possible for (potential) BSc's to apply at my uni.

What I'd like to do is, at my next meeting, raise the issue of a PhD. So what I'd like is some advice as to how to bring the subject up without making it seem like I was waiting for them to do it (which, I've been honest and it doesn't sound too pretentious, I was!).

Also, if they are accepting new PhD students and they feel I have the ability to do it, does that indicate I'm pretty much accepted?

Thanks in advance. This whole world of post-graduation seems daunting...and still I feel far too young to even be thinking about it!!

R

======= Date Modified 21 Feb 2009 13:05:38 =======
Hello there! I'm not doing computing, but some things related to doing a PhD and research are fairly generic. I'd suggest a few things you could do before speaking to your supervisors.

You should find out exactly what doing a PhD entails - maybe read Philips and Pugh 'how to get a PhD'. Think about what you would want to research, as if you were putting together a proposal outline - think about why it's worth researching, has anyone done it before, how might you approach it, why does it interest you? I think there was a post recently about putting a proposal together on here - you could browse for it. When you've got an idea about all that, you could speak to your sup and say - this is what you're really interested in pursuing after graduation and were wondering whether it is the sort of topic you could do at either Masters or possibly Phd level, but you would like their advice as they know the area better than you. Failing the outcome you want, you could always do the work placement you've been offered and think it over for the following year. Good luck!

C

It's good to be considering your future now but I would like to suggest that doing research and liking it is not the same as doing a PhD! Especially if you are not sure and feel too young - sorry to bring up this point but just because you enjoy research doesn't necessarily mean you'll enjoy doing a PhD! It's a huge difference from undergrad and even from a Masters which is like a half-way house and should not be thought of as an automatic progression. It's really good you've been given the funding for 2-3 month placement as that'll help you decide whether you can stick it out in this field! Some people find that they really like it and others don't. You can do research in the commerical subject especially doing what you do and it's better rewarded so you can consider that as well! It's really important to think about why you are doing a PhD and do it for the right reasons!

It's generally a good idea to move to a different uni to do your PhD although by no means compulsory as it'll give you different perspective and influences from new supervisors. If you stay in one place you won't be exposed to different methods of thinking and new ideas. Something to consider is that the research councils prefer people to have moved around as they believe it gives a person a broader education and a rounded edge.

Good luck (up)

M

Thanks for the replies :-)

I'll certainly see if I can get a copy of that book (in fact, there's a good chance it will be "in stock" at my uni's online library!).

I'll try and now respond to the other points in turn:

1) Moving to a different uni: I'd prefer to stay at my current one simply because they are at the top of the field. Well, them at the British University in Dubai...and going there really isn't an option for me!

2) When I said the area is quite interesting, what I meant was that I found there is the potential to apply something I've been interested in for a while to it. I have a real interest in Artificial Intelligence and the ability to process Natural Language, and I think there's the potential to apply that to this particular field.

3) I think I'm definitely going to take up the option of the placement, because if nothing else it will be fantastic for my CV, being able to show that my university supervisors were so pleased with my work they wanted me to continue with it. However, I would need to consider applying for a PhD before that starts (there's no date been set yet, but it would probably be soon after graduation in June).

4) I have also considered a Masters, and my university does offer an MSc in Computing Research, which is essentially a 1-year research project with a couple of taught modules in there as well. However, funding could be a problem there because there's very little money out there for Masters degrees. Depending on the amount I'll be paid for the placement, however, it could be that I can put together enough from that, savings and possibly a Career Development Loan. It's something to think about I guess!

I'll keep you updated on how I get on (up)