I don't know what to do

L

I think I've had enough with my PhD program. I'm finishing up my 3rd year as a graduate student and nothing has worked for me. I've had 3 projects that failed and I'm currently working on the 4th. However, the 4th is not showing the results that I need and my project is based on field work and summer work and the summer is ending. I'm not getting the support from the Post-doc in the lab or my advisor. The Post-doc talks down to me when I tell him that the procedure didn't work. My advisor is always busy with department issues (he is the chair of the department) and I believe he thinks that I'm being lazy.

I was feeling better about myself the last couple of days and was mentally attacked by the post-doc and just spent the last hour walking around campus. I don't know what to do. I want my PhD, but I've developed the feeling that this lab is not the place for me. But, I do not have enough of research to quit and get a Masters. Also if I quit, I would have to pay back a fellowship that I recieved from another program here on campus. Any ideas on what to do...how to cope? Thanks for letting me vent!

A

Hiya, I hope you're ok. I could have written this myself. I'm not sure what i can advise you apart from to stick in there... You have been doing this for 3 years and it would be sad to give up now. I too ended up wandering around campus today, for about an hour just thinking "what is the point".

I don't know if i can be more help, talking about it on here helps, maybe visiting a support organisation within the uni might help too... This is the annoying thing about research, is that it doesn't always "work", it's very dissapointing when it doesn't, but that is only part of doing a PhD. What did the post-doc do earlier today? Is there anybody else apart from your supervisor to help? Have you got a second supervisor that is not the post-doc???

J

It isn't really my field as I have no experiments in my research, but in my other work in the past this has often happened to me, and remember results are results, even if they don't give you what you expect - unfortunately there is never any guarantee things will work to order. However I don't think you should quit, I think you need to stand up to this other person, they might have no idea why things are not working as expected, but instead of admitting this, they are trying to bluff their way out by being overbearing and rude. (and so far it has worked !). Go to your advisor and tell them that you need some support and you are not getting it, ask them to go through the method you are using with you, so you know you are following it correctly, and assuming you are, ask their advice about the way forward. Never let bullies get the better of you.

S

Yes, don't quit - 3 years' work is too much to throw away, even if it hasn't all worked. Make an appointment to see you supervisor and go through your work. And take a day off and do something nice, try and forget about the post doc for a bit. Discuss them with your sup too. And yes, you also need a co-sup.

Hope things get better for you.