i dont understand my supervisors

D

for a year and a half my supervisors havent paid much attention to my phd or dont really know the detail of what I am doing or anythign like that. I met them once every 2 months - we have had our problems but i am now going insane. i AM shocked by how little the knoiw and udnerstand of what I am doing. Today i had to present waht I did for my mini thesis and then i had to tell them how i wanted to take my work further. Now all of a sudden tehy want to change my focus. They said that the stuff i have doen for the transfer is enough but they want to take me into a totally differnt direction to meet with some agenda or policy they have in mind. I am annoyed that they have let me go on and on and on and on - i have been telling them what ive been doing etc etc etc and NOW they say that they want em to change my focus. i dotn get it. I feel what i have done so far isnt worth it and its made me feel awful.

O

Hi driven2insanity
It must be really horrible for you at the moment - I am waiting for the same to happen as my supervisors have no idea about the research I am doing.
BUT Do you do protocols in your meetings? If yes, it might be a good way to prove that they never said anything before; however, perhaps it worse while to check what they actually want. Ask for some details and do some google search whether it might be relevant. Perhaps they did not think that you would progress that fast and now see an oppurtunity to link your work to some very relevant stuff - which might help you in the end.
Good luck!

K

hey driven2insanity
This is really bad and disgusting but look at the positive side!! may be ur suoervisors had no idea about ur capability n now wen u have done lot of work independently, they want u do something that they feel relevant!!
i knw that this means a waste of all ur work that u have done till now and very disappointing but may b at the end u would get somehow to link this to the work that u would b doing as per ur supervisor's idea.
At least they have taken a note of ur capability!! and if u have to continue with such supervisors, u have no opiton but to work under their sheer ignorant beahviour!!
ALL THE BEST!!

D

I think on reflection, what they have done is annoying but if they are now starting to pay attention to me then I guess I am pleased. If I really hate what they want me to do then I will actually say so, at the moment I am tryign to find some sort of link between the concepts i am trying hard to work with them, as that is the onyl way out of here!