I feel so inadequate (but may just be going crazy)

S

I know I am probably just being a drama queen here but I feel I need to get it out as it is really bothering me. I have been doing my PhD for two years and at the end of last year I had a really bad breakdown because of some personal issues. I really was a mess, and one of my supervisors was really supportive, but I didn't really talk to the other one. I had a real struggle but I managed to stay roughly on track although I am sure it was clear that I was a little unhinged a lot of the time. Ever since then I have been convinced the other supervisor thinks I am a complete looney and that I am basically just lazy.

I have to work 10 hours per week as a research assistant for them and the first supervisor gives me very interesting stuff to work on that will be useful for the future (that is meant to be the point in the employment bit - kind of like an apprenticeship. The other one has this undergrad student who she gives all of the remotely challenging work to and talks about her like the sun shines out of you know where. Now I think it is great that she is doing so well at such an early stage. Normally it doesn't bother me at all, although sometimes I get a bit irritated by it. Anyway today I was asked to do some extremely menial admin work for this research assistant who doesn't even have a degree yet (and no, she had no previous experience before her degree either). This bothers me. I just feel completely and utterly inadequate which may just be my own mental health playing up or it may be that it is actually a bit inappropriate. I am always second guessing myself so find it hard to gauge. Would this bother you at all?

N

I think you have good reason to be irritated by that, and I think you've done well to tolerate it so far. How does this second supervisor interact with you usually, is she rude to your face or just through the tasks she gives you? What does your first supervisor think of the situation?

Its hard for me to judge whether she genuinely thinks you're not good enough/lazy, or whether due to the problems you've had (and come through very well)she is not sure how much to push you with the work, maybe she thinks if your workload with her is too high, as well as your PhD, that you would struggle due to stress. Although she might not be showing it in the best way, she might be trying to help you and she might be trying to increase your workload gradually. It sounds like you need to get to know each other a bit better and to develop a better, more effective working relationship - maybe arrange a meeting with her to discuss doing some more challenging RA work that is related to your PhD or something.

Also how are you getting on with the undergrad student who is being given the other jobs, does she think its strange that she's being given them over you? Personally if I were her I would feel guilty if I were in this 'higher' position to a PhD student and would question that with the supervisor...is this student really skilled enough to do this work?

I hope I've said something that helps, good luck, Natassia x

D

Hi,

I don't know if this helps - But I have a horrid propensity to run through conversations I've had with my supervisors again. More often than not, I worry about what I've said. And most of the time wished I'd framed something differently.

Could this be something rather innocent? Perhaps your second supervisor is just not to over work you? Maybe they think back to when they were a PhD student and think that this would be the workload they would prefer? As you're now two years in to your PhD it is likely that they don't want to burden you too much.

S

Hi Slowmo

You're not going crazy, and you have a right to feel irritated. The other posters are right - you need to talk to your second supervisor about your work, and also your career hopes and plans. If she knows that you can cope with more challenging work, and are actively seeking it, she might give you more. Supervisors and employers will always have their favourites though, and there's not much you can do about that - try not to feel resentful as this can really sour your time at work. Just remember though, that at other times you'll also be someone's favourite!