I have a research idea! (Wildlife Conservation)

N

Hi!

I am a prospective PhD student and aim to begin study in the forthcoming academic year leading on from my undergraduate degree in Animal Conservation Science. Currently, I have a well-developed research proposal that has been verified with lecturers at my present institution. Following interest from a relevant conservation organisation, a detailed outline of the project has been sent to them for feedback and possible collaboration.

I do have a slight concern though. At this institution I have multiple potential supervisors, though one has suggested that supervision may be more appropriate elsewhere due to the array of research backgrounds here, which though are relevant, are not entirely specific to the focus of my proposed study. However, another has suggested that I aim to gain partnerships with organisations and independant researchers that may aid the PhD and future prospects. This institution is also soon to investigate funding opportunities for the project.

The reason I have started this thread therefore, is to get some advice.

Would you recommend I continue to pursue the PhD at the present institution where future prospects may potentially be high, though I have concerns over supervision? Or do you advise that I send my research proposal to appropriate persons who may be able to supervise this project, though chances of successfully arranging supervision may be limited - perhaps? I also currently have no funding available, so this would be something that requires investigation - is it too late at this stage (June)?

Any experiences that you would like to share with regards to choices you have made, or recommendations you have, would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to hear impartial guidance that I can not necessarily get at my current institution.

Thank you! :-)