I have left phd and a tiny bit of me regrets it

J

======= Date Modified 04 34 2008 08:34:48 =======
======= Date Modified 04 25 2008 08:25:56 =======
======= Date Modified 04 04 2008 07:04:06 =======
======= Date Modified 04 46 2008 05:46:32 =======
Hello everyone,
I left my humanities PhD about 2 months ago. I felt absolutely fine about it at the time. But
now I feel a bit depressed. I just saw this old school friend who is just about to start a science PhD and I feel a bit jealous.At school we were both the kind of star pupils. It made me feel a bit sick in the stomach when I found out. Although I don't mind my job I do now, I feel like maybe I haven't realised my potential. Having said that, I know deep down that my PhD wasn't going to be worth it, I am just too shy and not confident enough for a job in academia. I really don't mind my job now though, and up until recently i really felt like I had made the right decision. I guess in a way I am similar to people who do phd but decide to opt out of academia and get a normal job instead. Can anyone reassure me.

T

Of course its right to feel some regrets, you'd already put in a lot of effort before you left I'm sure, and it is seen as a big thing. And we naturally compare ourselves to others, like your friend who is just starting. But you'd obviously thought about it hard, and came to a pretty pragmatic and sensible decision. So enjoy the pleasures of real money, being able to afford a mortgage before the age of 35, not having to write a paper at 3 in the morning, oh and not having to explain to parents/friends/old woman at the bus stop why your small insignificant corner of research is actually important to anybody!

A

hey jk just sent you a private message

C

Hi JK

I very nearly quit my PhD (cell biology) after 1 year. Most of the time these days i think i would have been best doing that, it's just that being a proud so and so made me feel obliged to see it through. With a year to go now, i probably just about have the motivation to see it through, more through not wanting to let people down and fear of failure than desire to suceed.

My biggest problems with academia are the conditions and especially the people. I generally find most of them to be so far up their own backsides it's not even funny. Most of them bore me to tears as well. Perhaps you have to be to be dull and self obsessed to enjoy any success in such an environment.

Anyway, be grateful you got out, i envy you for having the balls to do what i could'nt do

B

======= Date Modified 05 Sep 2008 17:30:18 =======
It's 5.30 on a Friday so forgive the ramblings of a still slightly hungover city fool (been promoted from village idiot since last term) :p

Jk1982 - Its an understandable reaction but don't put yourself thro' a ringer for it. I'm certain that you didn't make your decision lightly and weighed up everything. Enjoy the new freedom and just because you didn't finish the PhD it doesn't mean that work is worthless and if you do change your mind in the future, that you can't return to academia, but more under your terms. You are in no doubt still reeling from a major decision so don't torture yourself thinking for a while - enjoy the fact that at 5 ya can leave work (well, most days) and that you won't have to rely on some stupid paper to get any chance of foreign travel for a while.

And just because you don't have a stream of letters behind your name, it doesn't change the fact that you are intelligent and can reach your potential in another avenue of life.

Saw this phrase yesterday and kinda sums up ...
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."

Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)

S

if you have made a decision, left a road, then dont look back

Find something inspiring on the new road.

P

hey u!!!!!
U just feel u need to have done a PhD just coz ur friend is trying to make u jealous?? That phase will go away....Right now I am sure u r doing what u want coz u want it....If u really wanted to do ur PhD u can always do it later. But please dont do anything juts to keep up with the Joneses!!! Do what ur heart wants u to do....!!! Cheers!! I am sure u r great at whatever u r doing and enjoying it!!!!