"I'm a Dr." or "I have a PhD" or some egotistical statement

======= Date Modified 25 Oct 2012 08:57:38 =======

Quote From nearlyfinished:

Beefy: I think associations with top universities are sometimes linked to elitism in the public's mind. But frankly I think in general the PhD is just seen as being a superfluous, geeky and not a meaningful qualification or status symbol outside of academia rather than elitist as such. The fact you see the term PhD being used in the media as being pointless suggests exactly the kind of values and attitudes that are prevalent in the UK.

Quote From DocInsanity:

Well Ian, of course you don't need to mention it was your thesis when you mention research you've done, but why must you avoid mentioning it? After all. your thesis is probably going to be your largest project, so it does have some relevance. Plus a PhD is generally subject to more scrutiny than other projects.
It's more HOW you present the fact of having a PhD that makes the difference, not that you mention you have a PhD at all.
As someone else noted, not all PhDs are the same, and the public have a nose for bullshit.

The UK attitude as I see it is the PhD is an achievement, however, as with other 'personal' achievements it is not raised readily in conversation or correspondence unless it is directly relevant to the topic. Even then, it is the content or findings of the work rather than it making up a PhD Thesis / Dissertation that is important. The PhD qualification may be seen as important only on a personal level rather than to society in general, an afterthought if you like. The same applies to other academic qualifications.

The only situation where you might want to promote the qualification is in applying for a job that needs the qualification or impressing on students in an academic setting that you have excelled in your field and are therefore qualified to teach or supervise them.

Beyond that, trying to deliberately stand out from the crowd can be seen as arrogant or elitist. It's let slip rather than announced I guess.

A historical precedent as regards the UK attitude to achievement was set by the Arthur Wellesley, 2nd Duke of Wellington when he became a Duke. In a personal letter to his brother, it was mentioned only as a postscript - "I believe I forgot to tell you I was made a Duke" (22nd May 1814).

Also, by announcing something like a PhD, you're seen as being 'clever' and you can set yourself up for a fall if you're unable to answer a given question in the eyes of the public even though it might not be your field. That may relate alot to public misunderstanding of what exactly a PhD is. Additionally, the title "Doctor" is firmly linked with medicine in the eyes of the general public.

Yes, some do see it it as a "superfluous", "geeky" qualification and only those who really understand it see it as the achievement it is. But to repeat myself it is your personal acheievemnt and no-one else's. :-)

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

P

lol maybe he's just exhilarated. u know, the kinda rapture one gets after just completing his phd. personally, i dont see the need of highlighting this particular info simply because everyone else has a phd.

in fact, some might say that it's a form of thinking fallacy called "appeal to authority" where one believes that having a phd makes his opinion more valid than others, which is just plain wrong. an argumentation should be measured by its own worth and not the supposed ethos of the speaker. :)