I'm drowning! SOS!

C

======= Date Modified 27 Oct 2012 17:07:15 =======

C

Is the pay in addition to PhD funding? I would expect at least 10-12K funding as a Biochemistry PhD, don't know about new first years or other subjects.
It's worth quitting if it is just going to be a waste of several years, its an investment of time for you and the people around you. It is a good sign that the supervisor is nice though. Maybe you just need a lot more support as you are from a different area, or a change of project? Some people do quit, and quite a few people get no results for most of their PhD. It depends whether you are able to complete, and if you want to go through what that will involve. Probably asking your supervisor/people that know you and know the process would help more.

C

======= Date Modified 27 Oct 2012 17:07:50 =======

B

If you have been paid your maintenence in advance you need to repay the remainder from the day you leave to the date you have been paid to. Return all books to the library and walk away no problems you are not tied to any contract.

Probably worth a couple of weeks off to make sure you are doing the right thing. Everyone has a nightmare at the start (and longer) I am writing up now, never been that interested but just did the research,did some labs and tutorials for extra cash, kept my super happy and published a few papers. You could stick with it, do the minimum and get your PhD if you want one

C

======= Date Modified 27 Oct 2012 17:07:38 =======

V

cmml100, I am afraid at the PhD level you are already expected either to know what to do or to go out and find out what and how to do it. For example, there is plenty of literature on conference presentations, at least try to google for tips. But taking into acoount that you are doing PhD in the field completely diferent from your previous studies, discuss thse difficulties with supervisor--what is the basic literature he suggests you to read etc.

C

======= Date Modified 27 Oct 2012 17:07:28 =======

J

Hi cmml100,

I'm about 8-9 months into my PhD and I also feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I think a PhD is not about knowing how to go off and design and carry out an experiment straight away but a process by which you learn how to do this well, so when you finish you are a competent researcher. So I wouldn't worry to much at the moment if you feel like this. Maybe try talking to other people in your dept and try bouncing some ideas off them to try and find a way of moving forward.

Hope things work out either way.