I'm in the wrong field...

A

Seven years ago I dropped out of my undergrad degree in Astrophysics and a year later ended up studying environmental science because it seemed easy and was "something to do." I now have a Masters in what is basically marine biology but I can't get a job because the competition is so high and I don't really have any of the other skills needed. Nor do I have the enthusiasm for the kinds of work available.

I'm desperate to study astrophysics again and what I really want to do is a PhD in astrobiology. I don't know whether or not I'm qualified to apply, or where to start - I'm thinking of doing some OU courses but I really just want to start a PhD next October. I can't bear the thought of wasting any more time. I have good research ideas and know a lot about the subject but no relevant qualifications to back it up. I really do feel ready to do a PhD, I just don't know how badly my poor grades and lack of relevant qualifications will hold me back, and what I should be doing. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it...

O

Before I attempt to give any advice - do you mind asking how old you are currently?

A

I'm 23. In my head I know I'm not that old, but I feel old and have family / financial commitments.

B

Hi adrastea, what about looking up some university staff in your area of interest and sending them an email where you can show your interest. I applied for a topic which was already decided but I am sure many people here in the forum would have made initial contact to potential supervisors in this way. From talking to a PhD supervisor that most important thing to show in your email is that you are aware of the person's work that you are writing to. Best of luck with it. You sound committed informed and passionate about your subject area of interest, you just need to communicate that to a potential supervisor.

A

So you were taking an undergraduate degree when you were 16? Very impressive

M

hey ostoll! how stupid u r!!! u r asking age? be sensible mate!

O

Calm down, Manuk.

I merely asked for the age as it is important to know - PRIOR to giving any advice to the original poster, capice?

In this case, I can say that 23 is not too late to start a PhD, in my opinion.

O

Besides, I'm not your mate.

V

Ann
[Registered User]
04 October 2007 15:32 So you were taking an undergraduate degree when you were 16? Very impressive

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Learn to count, it adds up to him/her starting at their first uni at 18!

OU actually does PhD in astrophysics.Someone from my previous uni went there to do just that anmd she graduated in microbiology. Contact them to find what exactly is required. Good luck.

J

looks like some forum people are back.

A

ermm?

Adrastea said
"Seven years ago I dropped out of my undergrad degree in Astrophysics"

and also said
"I'm 23."

23-7=16? :-S

O

23-7=16, I can confirm that.

There is a lot of negative energy in this thread...

A

There IS a lot of negative energy on this thread!!! I'm beginning to wonder what I've done wrong...

Yeah I was 16 when I started my first degree, it was a really strange and confusing time for me. I had a lot of potential but also a lot of problems which I guess is why I'm nervous about trying for a PhD now. It was easy doing a marine biology MSc because it didn't really matter to me, but astrophys / astrobio is really important and I'm worried about not being good enough. Dropping out of astrophys at 16 was a huge big deal for me - a lot of people lost their respect for me and I don't want to let myself down again.

I'm still slightly confused about the whole application process - if I want to start my own project, do I just send a few unsolicited proposals to potential supervisors?? What if they just ignore me, or are too busy?

I'm expecting some aggressive replies to this, so my apologies for being a little bit backwards..