I'm out of ideas

L

Hey guys, I'm finishing my 2nd year as a grad student studying Microbial Ecology and I'm in trouble. Since starting I've already gone through 3 projects and they have all failed (for various reasons), and I'm trying to start my forth. My problem is that I just don't have the desire to think about a new project. I'm reading papers, trying to formulate ideas, but they seem like crap. I feel like I'm worthless as a grad student. I want my PhD however, so are there any ideas?

T

should you consult your supervisor and probably get some co-students to start a promising project? you should not take the whole burden of solving the issue on your own. that's what supervisors are for.

B

Hey lumbeegradstudent - I'd agree with TomFinland but having experienced the whole "It's your project therefore you come up with the ideas" spiel I know your frustration. I have been given two weeks to come up with something solid and am worried but have decided that if things are going bad at that stage, to ask for a focus group of students in the group for their opinion on my ideas (prepare a short presentation for it). I didn't have to do a transfer from a Msc to PhD but looking back, maybe I should have. Maybe something along the same lines might suit you?